Carl Crawford, Red Sox disagree on whether he needs Tommy John surgery

Jul 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox Carl Crawford slaps hands with a teammate after scoring a run against the Chicago White Sox during the first inning of American League MLB baseball action at Fenway Park in Boston Reuters

Bobby Valentine announced yesterday that the Red Sox are going to put Carl Crawford on “a four-day program” to help his bum elbow. Meaning that Crawford can’t play more than four games in a row.

Crawford, however, is not happy with it and insisted again that at some point he’s going to need surgery:

“That’s what the doctor told me,” Crawford said of needing surgery. “I’ll try not to even think about it. I go out and play, try not to think about it. I figure one day it’ll blow out, and when that happens, time to go. “The later I wait to get it done, the more time I’m going to miss. I guess you guys can do the calculation on that and see how that works. I definitely know that at some point of my career I can’t keep playing with this ligament in my elbow like that.”

Then, after that Valentine chimed in:

“I heard what Carl said,” Valentine said. “I’ve never been told that he needs an operation. I don’t think that’s a definitive situation.”

It’s never easy in Boston.

In other news, I love that we have a left fielder and a manager discussing medical prognosis as if there weren’t some doctors around with greater insight on the manner.

1. Francisco (FC) - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM

To be fair to Carl, he’s saying that his DOCTOR has told him he’s required surgery. So it’s not like he’s plucking that out of thin air. Bobby V though, I’m not sure he’s seen a Doctor in years…

• pisano - Jul 30, 2012 at 3:54 PM

He should, and it should be a psychiatrist as soon as he can, the guy is a total head case.

2. bigleagues - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Craig,

You missed the REAL story that came out of this . . . that Valentine was OVER-RULED by the Team Trainer on Crawford’s 4-days on/1-day off regimen.

Valentine had ignored the team trainer’s program for Crawford, and apparently the trainer went over Valentine’s head to get his policy enforced. This is the same Head Trainer that forced a very accomplished team Doctor (Thomas Gill) out after last season.

3. donbp - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM

“WE”? Have you finally given up on any pretense of being objective now in your blogging?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I am not a Red Sox fan and the “we” does not refer to “my team” or “our team.” That’s a royal we, as in “we as people who watch and follow baseball have been presented with a situation in which …”

That aside, I have never claimed to be objective. Indeed, a blog is by definition not objective. It is a means by which the writers can provide their opinion, often in sharp terms.

If you’d like perfect objectivity I suggest you go read the Associated Press.

• hermitfool - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM

The Associated Press objective? Oh, I get it. You’re being sarcastic.
        Good one, Craig.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I love them NOT discussing it, but instead choosing to swap digs through the press.

I wonder if Carl is ready to re-evaluate those statements about how much he likes Bobby V now that he has been playing for him a full 2 weeks, and having a rather public dispute about a relatively simple matter.

• paperlions - Jul 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

People used his hot start (4 for 7, all singles) to indicate the he must like playing for Valentine. Well, now he’s got a sub .300 OBP and a .593 OPS with only one XBH….so…he must not like playing for him.

5. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

This thing is going to get so much uglier before it gets better. BV is going to start coming apart at the seams and the chicken and beer deal is going to seam like a happy memory. Somewhere in Brookline and Chicago there are two guys waking up with smiles on there faces.

6. crispybasil - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I miss Trot Nixon.

7. number42is1 - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I’m thinking that the “argument” want something like this
    CC:I DO NEED IT
    RS:YOU DON’T
    CC:I DO
    RS:YOU DON’T
    CC:I DO
    RS:YOU DO
    CC: I DON’T
    RS:YOU DO
    CC:I DON’T
    RS:Fine! have it your way……

• sabatimus - Jul 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I say it’s DUCK SEASON!

8. 13yrsmlbvet - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Bigleagues has it right. Even after banging the manager, coaches, strength guy, asst trainer they still have major issues. Peoples lives were turned upside down and it did nothing to solve any problems. The relationship between front office and physical therapist is, for whatever reason, toxic to club.

9. annaalamode - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

When a team is airing medical disagreements in public, you can be sure that communication has totally broken down in private. More indication that that clubhouse is a terrible place to be right now.

10. xpensivewinos - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM

If his elbow is so jacked up, how come they haven’t taken advantage of Ortiz being out and have Crawford DH this entire time? Wouldn’t that have gotten him in the lineup every day while saving him from throwing?

11. infectorman - Jul 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM

looked like that throw to the plate in the latter part of the game hurt some.
    Great throw, but it looked painful…

12. fredverd - Jul 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM

The throw went from point A to point B, but it certainly was not a clothesline! It had a lot of air beneath it, kind of looping. And, yes, it did seem to cause a bit of pain.

13. sabatimus - Jul 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Mutt and Lou on WEEI were talking about letting Crawford hit 2nd for the rest of the year and, if he does well, his trade level will go up and they might be able to get something good back for him during the offseason. What I want to know is this: why would another team take a risk on a guy who needs TJ surgery and is ripe for blowing out his elbow and missing a year?

14. sheriffpeyton18 - Jul 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I’m glad Boston is stuck with him! As a rays fan I was happy to get rid of his whiny ass

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4864)