Jul 30, 2012, 7:11 PM EDT
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks have designated veteran first baseman Lyle Overbay for assignment. The move clears a roster spot for third baseman Chris Johnson, who was acquired from the Astros yesterday.
Overbay, 35, is batting .292/.367/.448 with two home runs, 10 RBI and an .815 OPS over 110 plate appearances this season. However, as Piecoro notes, this includes a brutal 2-for-25 stretch since June 23.
Ryan Wheeler, who was recently promoted from Triple-A Reno, will take over as the backup to Paul Goldschmidt at first base. Overbay was only making $1 million this season, so he figures to generate some trade interest from contending clubs.
UPDATE: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds are expected to pursue Overbay.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)