Jul 30, 2012, 7:11 PM EDT
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks have designated veteran first baseman Lyle Overbay for assignment. The move clears a roster spot for third baseman Chris Johnson, who was acquired from the Astros yesterday.
Overbay, 35, is batting .292/.367/.448 with two home runs, 10 RBI and an .815 OPS over 110 plate appearances this season. However, as Piecoro notes, this includes a brutal 2-for-25 stretch since June 23.
Ryan Wheeler, who was recently promoted from Triple-A Reno, will take over as the backup to Paul Goldschmidt at first base. Overbay was only making $1 million this season, so he figures to generate some trade interest from contending clubs.
UPDATE: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds are expected to pursue Overbay.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)