Fisticuffsmanship! The Mississippi Braves and Mobile Baybears throw down

Jul 30, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT

We don’t see that many full-blown fights in major league baseball these days. Everyone knows the potential costs aren’t worth the benefits, I suppose. Or else they’re all friends and stuff.  But the minor leagues still give us a good fracas now and again.

On Saturday it was the Mobile Baybears vs. the Mississippi Braves. There were two out in the bottom of the ninth when a wild pitch caused the Braves’ pitcher to have to cover home plate as a Baybears tried to score from third.  The runner took out the legs of the pitcher and then …

I’ll say this much: normally in a fight that involves a pitcher you see the pitcher sort of back off and other players come in to mix it up. It was interesting then to see Braves pitcher Michael Tarsi take the lead here.

Not that I approve of course. Say no to violence. Stay in school. Only you can stop forest fires, etc.

1. kiwicricket - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:02 AM

‘Hep-B is not for me’
    (About the only thing I remember from school)

2. js20011041 - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Very hard to tell from that angle if he intentionally took out the pitcher. It’s possible that he may have just been sliding and the pitcher happened to step into his path. If the pitcher did step in between the runner and the plate, I have no problem with the slide. I think that a rule of thumb should be that if you don’t want to be taken out by a runner, don’t get between him and the base. Of course, if the runner did intentionlly take out the pitcher, I’ve got no problem with them going after him either.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM

So, no problems then? ;-)

• js20011041 - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Essentially. I’m not sure we have enough information on hand to determine who was at fault there.

• js20011041 - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Now I see what you’re getting at. I worded that poorly. What I meant to say was that if the pitcher was in front of the plate rather than in the process of stepping on the plate, then yest the slide was bad and I have no problem with the Braves going after the runner. And of course the reverse is true as well. If the pitcher stepped into the path of the runner, it’s a clean slide.

3. jjschiller - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM

This was the 9th inning of the 5th game of a 5 GAME SWEEP by the Mississippi Braves over the Mobile Bay Bears. Five games games between the same two teams; that’s plenty of time to get tired of one another. Especially for the Bay Bears, having their lunch handed to them.

There was some jawing going on when Christhian Bethancourt (Braves catcher) hit a 3 run homer earlier in the game. He was hit by a pitch in his next at-bat. There was no retaliation by the Mississippi Braves.

SO. Not being able to goad a response via the HBP, it’s easy to imagine a frustrated Bay Bear looking to go further to get a response later..

• jjschiller - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Actually, I take it back. The Bay Bears SP Eitel hit a Brave, Brave SP Spruil hit a Bay Bear, Eitel hit another Brave, Brave reliever Rasmus hit a Bay Bear, Bay Bear reliever Munson hit Bethancourt in the 8th, and then Brave reliever Tarsi hit a Bay Bear in the 9th.

So plenty of HBP’s in the game.

Makes it even more apparent that the slide was intentional.

4. bravojawja - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I’d call it a bush league play, but, you know, it is the Bush League.

5. icanspeel - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Intentional or not, what I saw from the video is the pitcher standing on home and the runner sliding (albeit hard) into home plate. Didn’t look like the runner went out of his way to slide into the pitcher, the pitcher was standing on home.

• Joe - Jul 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM

It wasn’t a particularly hard slide, and the runner had his back to the pitcher. If there was bad blood already in the game, I can see the pitcher getting pissed. But this doesn’t look at all to me like an intentional takedown by the runner.

6. zzalapski - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Kudos to the PA staff for getting The Offspring’s “Come Out and Play” cued up tout suite.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I was about to comment to say the same thing. Pretty quick thinking there. Guy deserves a raise.

7. vallewho - Jul 30, 2012 at 2:35 PM