Jul 30, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
There have been a fair amount of rumblings and rumors regarding Josh Beckett. But — and this is no surprise — it’s likely not happening.
It’s unlikely the Red Sox will trade Josh Beckett, after talking with a small handful of teams about him.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 30, 2012
Beckett has 10/5 rights, so he would have to approve anything and, though he has said he would “consider” any trade possibilities brought to him, he also says he’d prefer to stay in Boston. Then you figure that (a) he’s sort of at a baseball value nadir at the moment; and (b) he’s owed $15.75 million each of the next two years, it’s hard to see why anyone would want to deal for him.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)