Jul 30, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Kendrys Morales accomplished a very rare feat during the sixth inning tonight against the Rangers, homering from both sides of the plate while driving in six runs.
The Angels scored nine runs in the inning. Morales sparked the rally with a two-run homer off starter Roy Oswalt and later added a grand slam off left-hander Robbie Ross. He’s just the third player in MLB history to homer from both sides of the plate in the same inning, joining Carlos Baerga (1993) and Mark Bellhorn (2002).
Morales is the second player in Angels’ history to collect two home runs in the same inning, joining Rick Reichardt (April 30, 1966). The six RBI are a new club record and the most in one inning in MLB since Juan Uribe had six on September 10, 2010 as a member of the Giants.
Oddly enough, Morales entered tonight’s action with just two home runs over his previous 26 games. The grand slam was the second of his career and his first since he infamously shattered his lower left leg jumping onto home plate on May 29, 2010. Quite a way to bust out of that power slump.
Oswalt ended up being charged with eight runs on 11 hits (including three home runs) over 5 1/3 innings. He now has an ugly 6.49 ERA in six starts with the Rangers, allowing 54 hits and seven home runs over just 34 2/3 innings.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)