Jul 30, 2012, 6:50 PM EST
Well, perhaps not the home run itself, but what comes afterwards.
In all, Gomez owns four of the six sub-17 second-home run trots this year.
The fastest actually belongs to another big-league hustler, Bryce Harper. He ran the bases in 16.35 seconds on May 26. Harper also has the seventh and ninth fastest trots of the year.
Gomez, though, is the champ of the category, running sub-17s on 44 percent of his homers for the year. The only other player to come in under 17 seconds was Seattle’s Brendan Ryan on June 19.
Tater Trot Tracker has links to videos for most of the homers, if you’re interested.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)