Jul 30, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT
Well, perhaps not the home run itself, but what comes afterwards.
In all, Gomez owns four of the six sub-17 second-home run trots this year.
The fastest actually belongs to another big-league hustler, Bryce Harper. He ran the bases in 16.35 seconds on May 26. Harper also has the seventh and ninth fastest trots of the year.
Gomez, though, is the champ of the category, running sub-17s on 44 percent of his homers for the year. The only other player to come in under 17 seconds was Seattle’s Brendan Ryan on June 19.
Tater Trot Tracker has links to videos for most of the homers, if you’re interested.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)