Jul 30, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT
Well, perhaps not the home run itself, but what comes afterwards.
In all, Gomez owns four of the six sub-17 second-home run trots this year.
The fastest actually belongs to another big-league hustler, Bryce Harper. He ran the bases in 16.35 seconds on May 26. Harper also has the seventh and ninth fastest trots of the year.
Gomez, though, is the champ of the category, running sub-17s on 44 percent of his homers for the year. The only other player to come in under 17 seconds was Seattle’s Brendan Ryan on June 19.
Tater Trot Tracker has links to videos for most of the homers, if you’re interested.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 6
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 117
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39