Jul 30, 2012, 6:50 PM EST
Well, perhaps not the home run itself, but what comes afterwards.
In all, Gomez owns four of the six sub-17 second-home run trots this year.
The fastest actually belongs to another big-league hustler, Bryce Harper. He ran the bases in 16.35 seconds on May 26. Harper also has the seventh and ninth fastest trots of the year.
Gomez, though, is the champ of the category, running sub-17s on 44 percent of his homers for the year. The only other player to come in under 17 seconds was Seattle’s Brendan Ryan on June 19.
Tater Trot Tracker has links to videos for most of the homers, if you’re interested.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)