Jul 30, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT
Well, perhaps not the home run itself, but what comes afterwards.
In all, Gomez owns four of the six sub-17 second-home run trots this year.
The fastest actually belongs to another big-league hustler, Bryce Harper. He ran the bases in 16.35 seconds on May 26. Harper also has the seventh and ninth fastest trots of the year.
Gomez, though, is the champ of the category, running sub-17s on 44 percent of his homers for the year. The only other player to come in under 17 seconds was Seattle’s Brendan Ryan on June 19.
Tater Trot Tracker has links to videos for most of the homers, if you’re interested.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 7
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 10
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)