LOL: Terry Francona apologizes to Bobby Valentine via text

Jul 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

texting

Terry Francona broadcast last night’s Yankees-Red Sox game for ESPN, but before that the former Boston manager had what Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe describes as “a long conversation with six players and bench coach Tim Bogar” in the Red Sox clubhouse Saturday.

Francona apparently feared that might upset the man who replaced him as manager, so he sent an apology to Bobby Valentine via text message.

“I didn’t think it was any big deal,” Valentine told Abraham. “I didn’t see it. I wasn’t there partaking in the conversation. But what’s the big deal?”

And then Sunday morning, as part of the usual pregame prep for ESPN, Francona and his announcing partners Dan Shulman and Orel Hershiser met with Valentine. And according to Valentine the previous day’s clubhouse meeting and subsequent texting didn’t even come up.

Realistically this whole thing isn’t much of a story, but the real headline here is that Valentine turned down an opportunity to make a big deal out of something.

1. number42is1 - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Why were Bobby V and Beckett thrown out of the game last night?

• basedrum777 - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

They didn’t like that middlebrooks got hit by the pitch and wasn’t awarded first base. To be honest AGon probably should’ve been tossed as well. He was bitching more so then Beckett.
      I may be wrong bit if a player runs his hands up to bunt and the ball his hands I think they’re considered part of the bat so I’m not entirely sure why the complaining unless they thought he had sufficiently pulled his bat back and was in a hitting position more than a bunting one.

• number42is1 - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

thanks!

• anvil35 - Jul 30, 2012 at 1:18 PM

If you watch the replay, Middlebrooks was definitely pulling the bat back. Being a Sox fan, I felt cheated. I still dont believe baseball should expand replay rules. I love the human imperfection aspect of sports. No Replay…

• chrisfitzgerald88 - Jul 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM

No, basedrum, there is no such rule that “if a player runs his hands up to bunt and the ball his hands I think they’re considered part of the bat”, but high points for creativity; where did you get such an idea? The Red Sox were complaining because their player was hit by a pitch and it wasn’t called. It’s additionally annoying because Jeter has faked getting hit by a pitch and was awarded first base; Jeter claims such fakery is “part of the game”: http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/derek-jeter-fakes-getting-hit-by-pitch-claims-its-part-of-the-game.html

• chrisfitzgerald88 - Jul 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM

OK, now I see that a NY Post writer suggested that bogus ruling that it was OK to hit a guy while bunting. There is no such rule, and the umpires ruled that the ball had hit Middlebrook’s bat, which the videos indicate is untrue. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120729&content_id=35804766&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

2. woodyqq2 - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

So you put your article out to the public to see if someone WILL make a big deal out of nothing just so you have more to post. Get a life. Maybe the readers feel there is no story here and won’t waste there time making something out of nothing as Bobby V. did

• beearl - Jul 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Well, it was Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe who put the article out. AG was simply linking to it (with the disclaimer that it isn’t much of a story).

• myopinionisgarbage - Jul 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM

So why even link it? This is basically how ESPN gets “trade rumors” going.

• Brian Donohue - Jul 30, 2012 at 12:29 PM

In fact, if you think about it from a cultural perspective, there is kind of a big deal here. If I were BV, I’d merely point out the following: my office, located steps away from where the meeting occurred that caused the kerfuffle, has a door on it, which can be knocked. Whatever happened to the days when a man wishing to make an apology would deliver it in person with his hand out and his head bowed? Why does tweeting and txting supersede personal presence now, and what does that say about our evolution (or lack thereof) as social beings?

• myopinionisgarbage - Jul 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Overanalyze much? Smoke more pot.

3. cpinct - Jul 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Pretty funny that there was two Sox managers in the club house that have never been able to control what happens in there.

• bbgraf08 - Jul 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Francona was never able to control what happened in there? That’s news to me. I think he did a somewhat decent job from 2004 till 2010.

Short term memory.

• Glenn - Jul 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM

And I don’t think the “chicken and beer” thing was even much of a deal at all. If the Sox had won just one more game over the 162, we wouldn’t have even heard about it. Clubhouse management is what Francona is best at.

4. myopinionisgarbage - Jul 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Why is this a story? Why would ANYONE report on this? Really? Shit like this is what ruins sports reporting. Rumor-mill garbage, that no one REALLY gives a shit about outside of Boston, and even people in Boston don’t really give a shit about a Bobby V against Francona grudge that the media is trying to build, for whatever reason. You do yourself and the sports world a disservice by blogging/reporting on garbage like this. I don’t watch sports for the drama. If I wanted to watch drama shows I would DVR the daytime soaps. I tune into sports, and sports reporting, so that I can pay attention to SPORTS, not a bunch of high school melodrama that “reporters” create to sell more ad space. Get Bent.

5. bbil2012 - Jul 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Personally, I think this is a better story-
    Valentine was asked what needs he thought the Red Sox had.

“I think we need a better press corps. Probably help the mental state of our group. Other than that, I don’t see any gaping holes,” he said.

Then Abraham starts the next paragraph with “On a serious note…”
    I’m thinking Bobby V. was being serious.And many Sox fans would agree.

6. sictransitchris - Jul 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Judging by the absolute fellating the Red Sox got last night by ESPN’s taking heads I’d say Terry still feels a little guilty.

7. quizguy66 - Jul 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Valentine probably didn’t notice it amongst all the “Haha! Suckit!” texts that he’s been getting from Youkilis

-QG

8. onbucky96 - Jul 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM

On behalf of Red Sox Nation, PISS OFF BOBBY! Bring back Terry, or Nomar! Then the Sox will hit it WICKED HAAAARD!

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act