Jul 30, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
Teixeira said he originally hurt the wrist on Sunday, but he thought he could play through it. He aggravated it on a dive during Monday’s game.
“It’s a big concern,” manager Joe Girardi said. “We’ll keep our fingers crossed.”
With Alex Rodriguez down, it’d be a bad time for Teixeira to land on the disabled list. They’re best option for a callup, Russell Branyan, is coming back from an injury himself. The plan to cover for Teixeira would probably involve moving Nick Swisher to first base and calling up either Jack Cust or Darnell McDonald from Triple-A.
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings strike back
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million