Report: Alfonso Soriano won’t accept trade to San Fran

Jul 30, 2012, 11:37 PM EST

Alfonso Soriano AP

ESPN’s Jim Bowden reports that Alfonso Soriano has told the Cubs he will not accept a trade to the Giants.

The main Soriano rumors of late have placed him with Ryan Dempster in a possible deal to the Dodgers. The Giants are looking for outfield help with Gregor Blanco fading, but Soriano lacks the defensive range they prefer from their outfielders. They’ve been focused on Philadelphia’s Hunter Pence, according to reports.

Soriano has a full no-trade clause, so he can say no to any scenario he pleases. He’d probably prefer to go to a park that better suits his power stroke than AT&T.

1. sfchamps2010 - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Good we don’t want that hot dog punk

• byjiminy - Jul 31, 2012 at 10:47 AM

You don’t want him? On the Giants?? But he’s so…..old!!!!

2. go49ers - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Have it your way…like Burger King.

3. seeingwhatsticks - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I think there’s a joke to be made here. Something about Soriano not wanting a team considering at least 29 of the teams in MLB don’t want him.

4. jonirocit - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Yeah I love it .. Every time a player says I just want to win I think of ass bags like this guys

• Uncle Charlie - Jul 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM

To clarify do you think of soriano’s ass bags, or just random guys’ ass bags?

5. Marty - Jul 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM

He’s not a free agent until 2014, right? He will be 38, is he really thinking about stats for the next contract?

6. meetthegrouch - Jul 31, 2012 at 12:02 AM

For the money he is making, I would play in Antarctica if they asked me to.

• paperlions - Jul 31, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Yes, and so would I….but Soriano doesn’t have to…he negotiated a contract to make that money while playing in Chicago along with the ability to reject any trade….so he can make that money staying right where he is….I’m sure if your boss said you can stay where you are and make the money you are making or move 1/2 across the country and make the same money…you’d also choose to stay where you are.

7. spudatx - Jul 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Soriano doesn’t want to be on a winner… and doesn’t know how to perform to his contract. I’m surprised Wrigley hasn’t booed him out of there already.

• paperlions - Jul 31, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Yeah, it can’t just be that he isn’t that good. It isn’t Soriano’s fault that the Cubs former GM was an idiot….everyone thought that contract was horrible the day it was signed….still, not Soriano’s fault that he is over paid.

• henryd3rd - Jul 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Yes, where is former Cubs GM Hendry these days?

8. randygnyc - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Hey pantherpro- your comment is anti-Semitic and you should be banned for it.

• Old Gator - Jul 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM

He was.

• stex52 - Jul 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Guess I should have logged on earlier. Missed the excitement. But considering what does get said around here, it must have been a “doozy.”

9. elchief157 - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:30 AM

After he got his money, this guys doesn’t care about baseball anymore

10. Walk - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I kinda understand this one. If i was in his position i would want to stay in one of the smaller parks too for my home games, take my off days on the road if i could. It would minimize some of his range issues in the field and help out his bat too.

11. sffan75 - Jul 31, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I can’t blame Soriano for not wanting to leave the Cubs. Why go to a great city with a beautiful ballpark and loyal fans when you can stay in Chicago and be a part of an 109 year rebuilding process?

What a joke.

• paperlions - Jul 31, 2012 at 8:07 AM

You, are an idiot. Chicago is a great city with a beautiful ballpark (at least, from the fans perspective) and a loyal fan base…plus, Chicago has a HUGE latin american community.

Winning baseball games is nice, but this is also these guys lives….I don’t blame any guy for wanting to stay somewhere he enjoys playing/living even while not winning.

• stex52 - Jul 31, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Hey, I like Chicago ro San Francisco. Spent a fair amount of time in both. You honestly can’t fault the Cubs’ fan base; I think a lot of other teams would have already lost their fans by now.

And much as I like to visit the Bay area, I think I would choose Chicago to live in, too.

• stex52 - Jul 31, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Make that “Chicago or San Francisco”. Not “ro”. Flying fingers.

12. sfm073 - Jul 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I would go to the team that wanted me. His career is over after this contract and his money is guaranteed so you might as well go out there and try and win.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5136)
  2. M. Kemp (3557)
  3. J. Upton (2835)
  4. J. Kang (2824)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2723)
  1. C. McGehee (2721)