Jul 30, 2012, 6:47 AM EDT
UPDATE: Well, maybe not:
Giants VP Bobby Evans texts that there’s “no truth to the rumor” the Giants have a deal in place for Pence.
— Andrew Baggarly (@CSNBaggs) July 30, 2012
6:47 AM: There is a lot uncertainty about this at the moment. It’s not been confirmed by anyone at the moment (given the hour no surprise). Watch for updates.
6: 38 AM: KPIX TV in San Francisco is reporting that The Giants “have a deal in place” to acquire Hunter Pence from the Phillies, pending ownership approval. At the moment there’s no word on who would head back to Philly if the deal is approved.
The Phillies have been letting other clubs know that Pence is available for several days now, and the Giants’ three-runs over three games against the Dodgers this past weekend may very well have been the final impetus Brian Sabean needed to add a bat.
Pence is hitting .268/.333/.44 on the season with 17 home runs and 59 RBI. He struggled in April, raked in May and June and has once again hit the skids in July so it’s been something of an erratic year for him. Still, he’d represent a power upgrade for the Giants who only have two dudes with as many as 10 home runs. Pence is 30 and he’s got one year left of team control, and his arbitration award in 2013 could be around $12-13 million bucks.
The ownership approval part is interesting. I assume that means Giants owners given it would require them taking on a largish salary commitment. Could be the Phillies owners, though. But really, I see no reason why the people who currently own the Phillies — the Atlanta Braves — would balk at such a deal.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 6
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 27
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 19
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)