Jul 30, 2012, 6:47 AM EDT
UPDATE: Well, maybe not:
Giants VP Bobby Evans texts that there’s “no truth to the rumor” the Giants have a deal in place for Pence.
— Andrew Baggarly (@CSNBaggs) July 30, 2012
6:47 AM: There is a lot uncertainty about this at the moment. It’s not been confirmed by anyone at the moment (given the hour no surprise). Watch for updates.
6: 38 AM: KPIX TV in San Francisco is reporting that The Giants “have a deal in place” to acquire Hunter Pence from the Phillies, pending ownership approval. At the moment there’s no word on who would head back to Philly if the deal is approved.
The Phillies have been letting other clubs know that Pence is available for several days now, and the Giants’ three-runs over three games against the Dodgers this past weekend may very well have been the final impetus Brian Sabean needed to add a bat.
Pence is hitting .268/.333/.44 on the season with 17 home runs and 59 RBI. He struggled in April, raked in May and June and has once again hit the skids in July so it’s been something of an erratic year for him. Still, he’d represent a power upgrade for the Giants who only have two dudes with as many as 10 home runs. Pence is 30 and he’s got one year left of team control, and his arbitration award in 2013 could be around $12-13 million bucks.
The ownership approval part is interesting. I assume that means Giants owners given it would require them taking on a largish salary commitment. Could be the Phillies owners, though. But really, I see no reason why the people who currently own the Phillies — the Atlanta Braves — would balk at such a deal.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)