Jul 30, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
We continue to hear chatter that the Reds are interested in Phillies outfielder Juan Pierre, but Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that his teammate Shane Victorino is actually the club’s “top target” as they continue their search for a leadoff hitter.
As of now, the Reds refuse to meet the Phillies’ asking price for the Hawaiian outfielder. For what it’s worth, Paul Daugherty the Cincinnati Enquirer reported last week that the Reds turned down a deal that would have sent right-handed reliever Logan Ondrusek to Philadelphia for Victorino. If word of the nixed offer is accurate, that doesn’t sound like a very high asking price.
Victorino, an impending free agent, is hitting .261/.324/.401 with nine home runs, 40 RBI, 24 stolen bases and a .724 OPS in 101 games played this season. The Dodgers and Pirates are among the other teams who have reportedly expressed interest.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 0
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)