Jul 30, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Milwaukee made the move to open up a spot on the 40-man roster for reliever Fautino De Los Santos, who was acquired from Oakland for catcher George Kottaras, but the shift also means Marcum won’t be eligible to return until August 14.
Marcum is an impending free agent, so if healthy the Brewers would likely be shopping him for more prospects after dealing Zack Greinke to the Angels. Instead he’s no sure thing to pitch again this season and the 30-year-old right-hander may have a hard time securing a big-money deal on the open market despite a 3.68 ERA in 141 career starts.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)