Jul 30, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Milwaukee made the move to open up a spot on the 40-man roster for reliever Fautino De Los Santos, who was acquired from Oakland for catcher George Kottaras, but the shift also means Marcum won’t be eligible to return until August 14.
Marcum is an impending free agent, so if healthy the Brewers would likely be shopping him for more prospects after dealing Zack Greinke to the Angels. Instead he’s no sure thing to pitch again this season and the 30-year-old right-hander may have a hard time securing a big-money deal on the open market despite a 3.68 ERA in 141 career starts.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)