Jul 30, 2012, 11:38 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Cubs and Reds are talking about a possible Garza deal. Meanwhile, ESPN’s Jayson Stark was told by an executive that there’s now a “very high chance” that Garza is dealt before Tuesday’s deadline. The Blue Jays are said to be charging hard.
10:16 PM: The assumption has been that Matt Garza will remain with the Cubs through tomorrow’s trade deadline, as he was recently skipped in the rotation due to cramping in his right triceps. However, ESPN’s Jayson Stark is hearing otherwise.
#Cubs still trying to move Matt Garza despite health issues - & think they could. "I'd be surprised if he's not moved," says one exec.—
Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) July 31, 2012
According to Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, Garza threw a bullpen session today for the first time since the injury. Cubs manager Dale Sveum said it went “extremely well,” but it’s not clear when he’ll make his next start. Some teams may want to see him pitch again before making an offer, so unless the Cubs are blown away at the last minute, they might be better served to make a deal in the offseason.
Garza, 28, has a 3.91 ERA and 96/32 K/BB ratio in 103 2/3 innings across 18 starts this season. He’s due a raise from his $9.5 million salary this offseason in his final go-around in arbitration.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)