Jul 31, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
Hanson has officially been diagnosed with a strained lower back and revealed that he’s been pitching through the injury since the All-Star break, which explains his 7.45 ERA in four second-half starts.
Maholm will take Hanson’s rotation spot this weekend and Kris Medlen may get a chance to make multiple starts instead of being one-and-done as a spot starter.
Overall this season Hanson has a career-high 4.29 ERA in 22 starts with career-worst marks in homers, walks, and strikeout-to-walk ratio.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)