Jul 31, 2012, 5:45 PM EST
Hanson has officially been diagnosed with a strained lower back and revealed that he’s been pitching through the injury since the All-Star break, which explains his 7.45 ERA in four second-half starts.
Maholm will take Hanson’s rotation spot this weekend and Kris Medlen may get a chance to make multiple starts instead of being one-and-done as a spot starter.
Overall this season Hanson has a career-high 4.29 ERA in 22 starts with career-worst marks in homers, walks, and strikeout-to-walk ratio.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 36
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 14
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)