Jul 31, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
Hanson has officially been diagnosed with a strained lower back and revealed that he’s been pitching through the injury since the All-Star break, which explains his 7.45 ERA in four second-half starts.
Maholm will take Hanson’s rotation spot this weekend and Kris Medlen may get a chance to make multiple starts instead of being one-and-done as a spot starter.
Overall this season Hanson has a career-high 4.29 ERA in 22 starts with career-worst marks in homers, walks, and strikeout-to-walk ratio.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 26
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 84
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 15
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)