Jul 31, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that Dempster has informed the Cubs he’d waive his 10-and-5 trade veto rights for deals to the Dodgers, Yankees, and Rangers. In other words, Los Angeles has competition.
Ryan Dempster vetoed a potential deal to the Braves last week, leading to all sorts of drama, but it sounds like he’s getting his wish by joining the Dodgers instead.
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that the Dodgers are “getting” Dempster and the two sides merely have the “dotting of i’s and crossing of t’s” to complete the deal.
Los Angeles has been very active adding veteran players, picking up Hanley Ramirez from the Marlins and, just minutes ago, Shane Victorino from the Phillies. And now they’re on the verge of adding Dempster to the rotation alongside Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Chris Capuano, and Aaron Harang.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 69
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 161
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)