Jul 31, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that Dempster has informed the Cubs he’d waive his 10-and-5 trade veto rights for deals to the Dodgers, Yankees, and Rangers. In other words, Los Angeles has competition.
Ryan Dempster vetoed a potential deal to the Braves last week, leading to all sorts of drama, but it sounds like he’s getting his wish by joining the Dodgers instead.
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that the Dodgers are “getting” Dempster and the two sides merely have the “dotting of i’s and crossing of t’s” to complete the deal.
Los Angeles has been very active adding veteran players, picking up Hanley Ramirez from the Marlins and, just minutes ago, Shane Victorino from the Phillies. And now they’re on the verge of adding Dempster to the rotation alongside Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Chris Capuano, and Aaron Harang.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)