Ryan Dempster tells Cubs he’d approve trade to Dodgers, Yankees, Rangers

Jul 31, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT

Ryan Dempster AP

UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that Dempster has informed the Cubs he’d waive his 10-and-5 trade veto rights for deals to the Dodgers, Yankees, and Rangers. In other words, Los Angeles has competition.

==========

Ryan Dempster vetoed a potential deal to the Braves last week, leading to all sorts of drama, but it sounds like he’s getting his wish by joining the Dodgers instead.

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that the Dodgers are “getting” Dempster and the two sides merely have the “dotting of i’s and crossing of t’s” to complete the deal.

Los Angeles has been very active adding veteran players, picking up Hanley Ramirez from the Marlins and, just minutes ago, Shane Victorino from the Phillies. And now they’re on the verge of adding Dempster to the rotation alongside Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Chris Capuano, and Aaron Harang.

1. itsacurse - Jul 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM

We’ll be crossing the t’s and dotting the…….lower case j’s.

• tigers182 - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I’d give my right eye!

• lapsncaps - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Whoever gave a thumbs down to that comment is just jealous he got to it first!

• JB (the original) - Jul 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM

We’ll be smoking the j’s and dotting the….connects? Wait; what? Oooh, Pringles.

2. cur68 - Jul 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Um…you guys are going to wait till Dempster says this deal is done before calling this done, right? I mean, there IS some history here…

• natslady - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Might have to wait until he’s on the plane and had his new photo taken.

• Jeremiah Graves - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I’d wait until he’s warming up on the mound in his Dodgers uniform…just to be safe.

• cur68 - Jul 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Sooooo…Texas. I’m not buying this till I see him in a Rangers Uniform, throwing pitches after someone dressed like Darth Vader says “play ball”. And then I’m going to check the calendar to see if its April 1 or not.

3. napoleonblownapart6887 - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Just get it done before he pitches against the Pirates tonight… we were able to nick him up last time but I wouldn’t bet on that twice in a row.

Seems like now that the Dodgers’ cups runneth over with green that this could be a perennial sight to see them active at the deadline.

4. dankpuffalot - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:05 PM

So two good pitchers and 3 crappy ones one the staff now?

5. theawesomersfranchise - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it

6. istillbelieveinblue - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Did Demp explicitly veto the trade to ATL? I only remember reading that he was indecisive and the Braves moved on after becoming tired of waiting. I realize the indecisiveness might have been a passive aggressive means of vetoing the trade, but does anyone remember a confirmed report of Ryan explicitly vetoing the trade? Just curious.

7. rj6976 - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I bet he voids it I heard he really wants to play for the Brooklyn Nets

8. nekotman - Jul 31, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Nah….he really wants to play in western Canada. Seems like the baby type to me.

9. unlost1 - Jul 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM

i was caught off guard by this

10. Jeremiah Graves - Jul 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM

So with just about an hour to go until the trade deadline and Los Angeles waffling on sending any of their big-time arms back to the Cubs in the deal we suddenly learn that Dempster has gone from really, really wanting to go to LA to suddenly being in the mix for New York and Texas, two other big-time clubs with money and prospects.

Gee…I’m sure that’s not a ploy by Theo/Jed/Dempster to get LA to budge on their trade offer at all.

11. mreezybreezy - Jul 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

He wants to go to the Dodgers. The Cubs have their eyes on someone specific with LA. The Dodgers think the Cubs/ Dempster played their hand with the whole Braves thing.

In sum, I agree with Aaron. He might’ve been “coached” into saying this to remind the Dodgers not to sleep on this and think it’s a forgone conclusion he’s coming to LA.

12. jpat2424 - Jul 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Screw off dempster

• jeffbbf - Jul 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I agree. I’d also tell the Dodgers to stuff it and trade Dempster to the Yankees or Rangers for whatever they can get with 45 minutes left

13. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 31, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Unless Pettitte is worse than reported, I don’t see the Yankees as a great fit. At lease not worth giving up much prospect value.

• number42is1 - Jul 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I was thinking the same thing.. Who can the Yanks give up that is worth 2 months on Dempster anyway?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM

While Garcia has been pitching well, and Pettitte is due to return sometime in Sept. Demote Nova? Trade Nova and/or Hughes (plus more) for Justin Upton? Dempster is a nice pitcher and all, but I’m not adding him would improve the club much.

• number42is1 - Jul 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Getting rid of Nova/Hughes is simply not an option. The Yanks are trying to keep salary low for 2014 and a rotation of Pineda, CC, Hughes, Nova, and Some other young kid is going to help accomplish that. As i stated earlier i do not think that Pitching is going to help us down the stretch.. we need hitting plain and simple. Something that gets us Upton is nice but not for Nova/Hughes

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Moot point now, but I don’t think Nova should be untouchable. Hitters certainly don’t think so

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2584)