Jul 31, 2012, 2:42 PM EST
UPDATE: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that Dempster has informed the Cubs he’d waive his 10-and-5 trade veto rights for deals to the Dodgers, Yankees, and Rangers. In other words, Los Angeles has competition.
Ryan Dempster vetoed a potential deal to the Braves last week, leading to all sorts of drama, but it sounds like he’s getting his wish by joining the Dodgers instead.
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that the Dodgers are “getting” Dempster and the two sides merely have the “dotting of i’s and crossing of t’s” to complete the deal.
Los Angeles has been very active adding veteran players, picking up Hanley Ramirez from the Marlins and, just minutes ago, Shane Victorino from the Phillies. And now they’re on the verge of adding Dempster to the rotation alongside Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Chris Capuano, and Aaron Harang.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)