Francisco Liriano fans eight Twins in White Sox debut

Jul 31, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT

Francisco Liriano Getty Images

Pitching against his old team in his first start for his new one, Francisco Liriano allowed two runs in six innings and struck out eight as the White Sox beat the Twins 4-3 on Tuesday.

The game was tied 2-2 after the top of the seventh, so Liriano didn’t factor into the decision. The White Sox won it in the ninth after A.J. Pierzynski hit a two-run homer. The Twins came back with one in the bottom of the inning, but it wasn’t enough.

Liriano struck out his old batterymate, Joe Mauer, twice on the night. White Sox manager Robin Ventura let him throw 113 pitches, his high total for the season. He’s thrown more pitches just three times in his career; 117 on June 23, 2009, 123 on May 2, 2010 and 123 on May 3, 2011 (his no-hitter against the White S0x).

1. wlschneider09 - Jul 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Sigh. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

2. randygnyc - Jul 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I was at the game. Liriano and Blackburn both pitched well. AJ was the villain tonight, except for my 11 year old girl, who he threw a ball to after the 2 nd inning as he came in off the field.

3. ndnut - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Nice seats Randy! How’d you manage seats that close to the visitors dugout? Did you stubhub them like I did when I went last year?

4. randygnyc - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I frequent Minneapolis, I’m live in NYC, and I know all the scalpers. Bought the tickets at 7:05 for the 7:10 start, lol. A little under the $82 face value, too.

5. spudatx - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Dear White Sox Fans,

Enjoy. FranKKKy just pitched his CWS debut at “home”. Just wait… the implosions will come.

Sincerely,

Twins Fans

• zzalapski - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:09 AM

No, that didn’t sound bitter, at all!

6. spudatx - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:24 AM

He pitched well at his “home” stadium. Yay…

7. thepunkyqb - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Funny how a guy pitches well when hes on a Team with even some semblance of a shot to do something in the Playoffs.

8. twonis - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I wouldn’t have cared if he would have pitched a perfect game. It was a good move to let him go. He’s never been able to get back to the brilliance he had pre-surgery, at least not for any extended period. The Twins were going to end up losing him anyway to free-agency. I sat 15 rows behind home plate to watch Deduno’s debut and the kid’s got some nasty stuff. Could turn out to be Scott Diamond #2. Who would have guessed that the real Twins starting rotation was all in Rochester?

9. foreverchipper10 - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Is it just me or is it a weird phenomenon that players being traded are facing their old teams immediately. Ichiro against the M’s, Wandy Rodriguez against the Stros and now Liriano against the Twins. Weird weird stuff.

1. H. Pence (2182)