Jul 31, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the deal is done and about to be announced.
1:32 PM: Heyman reports that Nate Schierholtz is in the deal too. That at least gives the Phillies and outfielder. Heyman likewise says that a pitcher could be going to Philly, making this a 3-for-1 deal. UPDATE: The pitcher is minor league reliever Seth Rosin.
12:29 PM: Ruben Amaro is taking no prisoners. Mere minutes after word of the completion of the Shane Victorino trade, Jon Heyman reports that the Giants have agreed to acquire Hunter Pence from the Phillies. There is word from the Giants, however, that the deal is not yet done. General reporterly consensus is settling on the notion that it’s probably almost done, but some details need sorted. The devil is in the details, of course.
The Giants are reported to be sending back catching prospect Tommy Joseph. No word yet if any other players are going to Philly, but Gary Brown, Brandon Belt or Kyle Crick are all reported to NOT be part of the deal. The Giants are reported to be picking up a “chunk” of Pence’s 2012 salary.
Pence is hitting .271/.336/.447 on the year with 17 homers and 59 RBI. He’s arbitration eligible next season.
Joseph, who just turned 21, is hitting .260/.313/.391 at Double-A Richmond of the Eastern League. He’s still young for his league, of course, and he has shown nice power in his previous two minor league seasons. Given that Carlos Ruiz is going to be a free agent after 2013 — and given that he will be entering his age-35 season the year after that — you have to figure the Phillies view Joseph as the heir apparent.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)