Jul 31, 2012, 6:35 PM EST
His status for 2013 won’t be known until after the surgery.
Danks’ name came up in trade rumors after last season, but the White Sox felt good enough about his arm in December to sign him to a five-year, $65 million extension through 2016. He ends the first year of that deal having gone 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA in nine starts.
If he makes it back next year, he’ll be part of a rotation that should also include fellow left-handers Chris Sale and Jose Quintana. There’s a $22 million option on Jake Peavy‘s contract that probably won’t be picked up, and Gavin Floyd will be a candidate to be traded.
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 0
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 23
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 33
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 86
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)