Jul 31, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
His status for 2013 won’t be known until after the surgery.
Danks’ name came up in trade rumors after last season, but the White Sox felt good enough about his arm in December to sign him to a five-year, $65 million extension through 2016. He ends the first year of that deal having gone 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA in nine starts.
If he makes it back next year, he’ll be part of a rotation that should also include fellow left-handers Chris Sale and Jose Quintana. There’s a $22 million option on Jake Peavy‘s contract that probably won’t be picked up, and Gavin Floyd will be a candidate to be traded.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)