Jul 31, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
His status for 2013 won’t be known until after the surgery.
Danks’ name came up in trade rumors after last season, but the White Sox felt good enough about his arm in December to sign him to a five-year, $65 million extension through 2016. He ends the first year of that deal having gone 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA in nine starts.
If he makes it back next year, he’ll be part of a rotation that should also include fellow left-handers Chris Sale and Jose Quintana. There’s a $22 million option on Jake Peavy‘s contract that probably won’t be picked up, and Gavin Floyd will be a candidate to be traded.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)