Jul 31, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
His status for 2013 won’t be known until after the surgery.
Danks’ name came up in trade rumors after last season, but the White Sox felt good enough about his arm in December to sign him to a five-year, $65 million extension through 2016. He ends the first year of that deal having gone 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA in nine starts.
If he makes it back next year, he’ll be part of a rotation that should also include fellow left-handers Chris Sale and Jose Quintana. There’s a $22 million option on Jake Peavy‘s contract that probably won’t be picked up, and Gavin Floyd will be a candidate to be traded.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 57
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)