Jul 31, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
His status for 2013 won’t be known until after the surgery.
Danks’ name came up in trade rumors after last season, but the White Sox felt good enough about his arm in December to sign him to a five-year, $65 million extension through 2016. He ends the first year of that deal having gone 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA in nine starts.
If he makes it back next year, he’ll be part of a rotation that should also include fellow left-handers Chris Sale and Jose Quintana. There’s a $22 million option on Jake Peavy‘s contract that probably won’t be picked up, and Gavin Floyd will be a candidate to be traded.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 6
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 27
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 19
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)