Jul 31, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT
It’s not often that you hear a player booed in his home stadium while leaving the field with an injury.
But that just happened at Boston’s Fenway Park.
According to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, Red Sox right-hander Josh Beckett was removed in the third inning of his start Tuesday night against the Tigers after feeling discomfort in his lower back and was showered with boos from the home crowd despite allowing just one run on two walks and a hit.
Beckett was shopped by the Boston front office in recent weeks, but his expensive contract and inconsistent numbers kept anything from happening. Including Tuesday’s results, the 32-year-old has posted a 4.54 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 84/31 K/BB ratio in 111 innings (18 starts) this season. He’s owed $15.75 million in 2013 and another $15.75 million in 2014.
The Red Sox entered play Tuesday with a 52-51 record, ranking fourth in the American League East.
UPDATE, 9:04 PM: Tim Britton of the Providence Journal says Beckett was diagnosed with back spasms.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)