Jul 31, 2012, 9:32 AM EST
Last night Ken Rosenthal reported the potential for a “blockbuster” deal involving the Diamondbacks. That deal, Rosenthal speculated, could involve Justin Upton and could be for a big name pitcher, names currently unknown.
The Dbacks may make a blockbuster move, but according to Bob Nightengale, it won’t include Justin Upton:
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) July 31, 2012
It was probably too strong to say “rumors of Cliff Lee or Felix Hernandez,” because none of that has been reported as possible or even likely, but the reiteration that Upton is off the table is useful. It tells us that, in all likelihood, the word “blockbuster” may be too strong.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 44
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 32
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 50
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)