Jul 31, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz‘s season is over, and more than half of his 2013 is gone now too: the Rangers have announced that he’s getting Tommy John surgery.
He’s been on the DL since May with a sprained UCL, but it wasn’t getting better and he was scratched from a rehab start Sunday at Double-A Frisco because of renewed elbow discomfort.
Feliz is still just 24 and, for his career, he has a 2.67 career ERA and 201 strikeouts in 205.1 innings. It’s a common thing to see young fireballers go down like this. But it never gets any less sad.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)