Jul 31, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz‘s season is over, and more than half of his 2013 is gone now too: the Rangers have announced that he’s getting Tommy John surgery.
He’s been on the DL since May with a sprained UCL, but it wasn’t getting better and he was scratched from a rehab start Sunday at Double-A Frisco because of renewed elbow discomfort.
Feliz is still just 24 and, for his career, he has a 2.67 career ERA and 201 strikeouts in 205.1 innings. It’s a common thing to see young fireballers go down like this. But it never gets any less sad.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)