Jul 31, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
Neftali Feliz‘s season is over, and more than half of his 2013 is gone now too: the Rangers have announced that he’s getting Tommy John surgery.
He’s been on the DL since May with a sprained UCL, but it wasn’t getting better and he was scratched from a rehab start Sunday at Double-A Frisco because of renewed elbow discomfort.
Feliz is still just 24 and, for his career, he has a 2.67 career ERA and 201 strikeouts in 205.1 innings. It’s a common thing to see young fireballers go down like this. But it never gets any less sad.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)