Jul 31, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz‘s season is over, and more than half of his 2013 is gone now too: the Rangers have announced that he’s getting Tommy John surgery.
He’s been on the DL since May with a sprained UCL, but it wasn’t getting better and he was scratched from a rehab start Sunday at Double-A Frisco because of renewed elbow discomfort.
Feliz is still just 24 and, for his career, he has a 2.67 career ERA and 201 strikeouts in 205.1 innings. It’s a common thing to see young fireballers go down like this. But it never gets any less sad.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)