Jul 31, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Jim Thome hit reasonably well since jumping into the middle of the Orioles’ lineup a month ago, hitting .261 with two homers and a .746 OPS in 18 games, but now the 41-year-old is on the disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck.
Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that Thome “will fly to Caifornia to get an epidural” and is eligible to return on August 12, although obviously given his age and history of back and neck problems that’s far from guaranteed.
And hopefully this isn’t the last we’ve seen of Thome.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)