Jul 31, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Jim Thome hit reasonably well since jumping into the middle of the Orioles’ lineup a month ago, hitting .261 with two homers and a .746 OPS in 18 games, but now the 41-year-old is on the disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck.
Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that Thome “will fly to Caifornia to get an epidural” and is eligible to return on August 12, although obviously given his age and history of back and neck problems that’s far from guaranteed.
And hopefully this isn’t the last we’ve seen of Thome.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)