Jul 31, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
It won’t grab many headlines, but the Red Sox and Diamondbacks have made an interesting swap with left-handed reliever Craig Breslow going to Boston and outfielder Scott Podsednik and right-handed reliever Matt Albers going to Arizona.
Breslow, who was acquired by Arizona from Oakland this offseason in the Trevor Cahill/Jarrod Parker/Ryan Cook swap, has a 2.70 ERA and 42/13 K/BB ratio in 43 innings. He’s had similarly strong numbers in past year, with a 3.02 ERA in 322 career innings, and is much more than a situational left-handed because his splits are nearly equal versus righties and lefties.
Podsednik has been playing at Triple-A for the past three weeks, is a spare part at this point in his career, and was available for basically nothing to any team that wanted him last month. Albers found some success in Boston’s bullpen after bouncing around early in his career, throwing 104 innings with a 3.81 ERA since the beginning of last season, but his 93/46 K/BB ratio is significantly less impressive.
This sure seems like a nice move by the Red Sox.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)