Jul 31, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
It won’t grab many headlines, but the Red Sox and Diamondbacks have made an interesting swap with left-handed reliever Craig Breslow going to Boston and outfielder Scott Podsednik and right-handed reliever Matt Albers going to Arizona.
Breslow, who was acquired by Arizona from Oakland this offseason in the Trevor Cahill/Jarrod Parker/Ryan Cook swap, has a 2.70 ERA and 42/13 K/BB ratio in 43 innings. He’s had similarly strong numbers in past year, with a 3.02 ERA in 322 career innings, and is much more than a situational left-handed because his splits are nearly equal versus righties and lefties.
Podsednik has been playing at Triple-A for the past three weeks, is a spare part at this point in his career, and was available for basically nothing to any team that wanted him last month. Albers found some success in Boston’s bullpen after bouncing around early in his career, throwing 104 innings with a 3.81 ERA since the beginning of last season, but his 93/46 K/BB ratio is significantly less impressive.
This sure seems like a nice move by the Red Sox.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte