Jul 31, 2012, 3:09 PM EST
It won’t grab many headlines, but the Red Sox and Diamondbacks have made an interesting swap with left-handed reliever Craig Breslow going to Boston and outfielder Scott Podsednik and right-handed reliever Matt Albers going to Arizona.
Breslow, who was acquired by Arizona from Oakland this offseason in the Trevor Cahill/Jarrod Parker/Ryan Cook swap, has a 2.70 ERA and 42/13 K/BB ratio in 43 innings. He’s had similarly strong numbers in past year, with a 3.02 ERA in 322 career innings, and is much more than a situational left-handed because his splits are nearly equal versus righties and lefties.
Podsednik has been playing at Triple-A for the past three weeks, is a spare part at this point in his career, and was available for basically nothing to any team that wanted him last month. Albers found some success in Boston’s bullpen after bouncing around early in his career, throwing 104 innings with a 3.81 ERA since the beginning of last season, but his 93/46 K/BB ratio is significantly less impressive.
This sure seems like a nice move by the Red Sox.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)