Reds talking to Twins about Denard Span

Jul 31, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT

Denard Span Getty Images

After missing out on Shane Victorino–or perhaps more accurately turning down the Phillies’ offer for him–the Reds have a new trade target for center field and the leadoff spot.

Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that they’re talking to the Twins about Denard Span, who’s a solid defensive center fielder with good on-base skills and under team control through 2015.

Minnesota fielded offers from the Nationals for Span last year at this time and Ben Revere‘s presence potentially makes him expendable now, although the Twins would presumably need very strong value for a young, good all-around player signed to a reasonable contract.

Miller says the Twins are targeting young starting pitching for Span, who’s hitting .290 with a .356 on-base percentage at age 28.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Jul 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Dear Terry Ryan-

Span is one of the few legitimately movable, legitimately valuable trade pieces we have on this team right now. He’s also young enough that he could be a part of the next good Twins team.

With that in mind, if/when you decide to move him…DO NOT F*CK IT UP!!

Sincerely,
    Every Twins Fan

PS: Can we get re-dos on all of the Bill Smith era trades?

2. syracuse451 - Jul 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I believe the quote I saw somewhere was “I think going after Span has to be seen as Walt trying to Dusty-proof the lineup.” Brilliant

3. jwillie123 - Jul 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Ugh, I do not trust the Twins front office in any sort of trade anymore. They have sold low and received less of a return than everyone expects to get every time in the past three years. I would rather hold, just because I don’t feel they will get the return that we should. In fact, I know they won’t.

4. metalhead65 - Jul 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I think the reds should just stick with what they have after giving up some of their best prospects for latos they should not give away any more future talent. it may be a upgrade over stubbs but that does not mean dusty will play him everyday,matchups you know.

5. rgledz - Jul 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Please just keep Span! I can’t stand to watch another quality player traded for low 90’s throwing contact pitchers!! Enough already, The Twins waited a long time on Span to be where he is now. Leave him and Revere in the outfield and build around it. I have NO faith in Terry Ryan at this point…..he taught Bill Smith everything he knows and we all know how that little experiment went.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3222)