Jul 31, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
After missing out on Shane Victorino–or perhaps more accurately turning down the Phillies’ offer for him–the Reds have a new trade target for center field and the leadoff spot.
Minnesota fielded offers from the Nationals for Span last year at this time and Ben Revere‘s presence potentially makes him expendable now, although the Twins would presumably need very strong value for a young, good all-around player signed to a reasonable contract.
Miller says the Twins are targeting young starting pitching for Span, who’s hitting .290 with a .356 on-base percentage at age 28.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 8
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 44
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)