Jul 31, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
After missing out on Shane Victorino–or perhaps more accurately turning down the Phillies’ offer for him–the Reds have a new trade target for center field and the leadoff spot.
Minnesota fielded offers from the Nationals for Span last year at this time and Ben Revere‘s presence potentially makes him expendable now, although the Twins would presumably need very strong value for a young, good all-around player signed to a reasonable contract.
Miller says the Twins are targeting young starting pitching for Span, who’s hitting .290 with a .356 on-base percentage at age 28.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)