Jul 31, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
Wil Myers reclaimed the professional lead in homers from Adam Dunn on Monday, smacking his 31st and 32nd homers in Triple-A Omaha’s game against Oklahoma City.
The 21-year-old Myers has gone 7-for-12 with three homers, eight RBI and four walks in the series versus Oklahoma City. He’s hitting .294/.380/.596 with 19 homers in 255 at-bats for Omaha and .311/.392/.643 with 32 homers in 389 at-bats overall after adding in his Double-A numbers.
Jeff Francoeur, meanwhile, is hitting .238/.275/.366 with nine homers in 382 at-bats for the season. He has fewer RBI for the Royals (30) than Myers has homers in the minors. He’s even managed to be caught stealing on five of his six attempts.
If the Royals were in the thick of the AL Central, one imagines they would have given Myers a shot a few weeks ago. As is, they really should do it anyway. He might not succeed right away, but he’d give the fanbase something to be excited about.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)