Jul 31, 2012, 8:47 AM EDT
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the talks between the Phillies and the Orioles over Joe Blanton have hit a snag. Before looking at the story, I assumed it involved the O’s inspection of Blanton’s medical records and their presumed discovery that his blood type is, in fact, rich, creamy Yoo-Hoo. I was wrong, though. It’s money:
They likely could acquire the 31-year-old Blanton for a mid-level minor leaguer, but the Phillies also want to shed what remains on Blanton’s $8.5 million contract — which is approximately $3 million. And, according to an industry source, the Orioles appear hesitant to absorb that figure for a pitcher who is considered a mid-to-late-rotation innings eater.
There’s not a ton of reason for the Phillies to trade Blanton if they don’t get any salary relief. I mean, it’s not like the O’s are going to send them a top prospect. So this could conceivably scuttle things.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 146
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)