Jul 31, 2012, 8:47 AM EDT
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the talks between the Phillies and the Orioles over Joe Blanton have hit a snag. Before looking at the story, I assumed it involved the O’s inspection of Blanton’s medical records and their presumed discovery that his blood type is, in fact, rich, creamy Yoo-Hoo. I was wrong, though. It’s money:
They likely could acquire the 31-year-old Blanton for a mid-level minor leaguer, but the Phillies also want to shed what remains on Blanton’s $8.5 million contract — which is approximately $3 million. And, according to an industry source, the Orioles appear hesitant to absorb that figure for a pitcher who is considered a mid-to-late-rotation innings eater.
There’s not a ton of reason for the Phillies to trade Blanton if they don’t get any salary relief. I mean, it’s not like the O’s are going to send them a top prospect. So this could conceivably scuttle things.
- One PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is good. The other PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is bad 79
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 39
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 37
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)