Jul 31, 2012, 8:47 AM EDT
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the talks between the Phillies and the Orioles over Joe Blanton have hit a snag. Before looking at the story, I assumed it involved the O’s inspection of Blanton’s medical records and their presumed discovery that his blood type is, in fact, rich, creamy Yoo-Hoo. I was wrong, though. It’s money:
They likely could acquire the 31-year-old Blanton for a mid-level minor leaguer, but the Phillies also want to shed what remains on Blanton’s $8.5 million contract — which is approximately $3 million. And, according to an industry source, the Orioles appear hesitant to absorb that figure for a pitcher who is considered a mid-to-late-rotation innings eater.
There’s not a ton of reason for the Phillies to trade Blanton if they don’t get any salary relief. I mean, it’s not like the O’s are going to send them a top prospect. So this could conceivably scuttle things.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)