Jul 31, 2012, 3:16 PM EST
Less than an hour until the deadline and the trades are coming faster now. The latest: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins are sending Gaby Sanchez to the Pirates in exchange for outfielder Gorkys Hernandez and a competitive-balance pick.
Sanchez, a first baseman, has cratered this year, hitting .202/.250/.306 in 196 major league plate appearances. He was demoted to New Orleans in early July, however, and has turned it around down there, hitting .302/.431/.491, albeit in a Pacific Coast League parks. He represents a potential upgrade for the Pirates if he can get back to his old form, but is by no means a sure thing.
Hernandez has a mere 26 major league plate appearances in his life — all this year — in which he went 2 for 24. At Indianapolis he has hit .257/.353/.346.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (109)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)