Jul 31, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Less than an hour until the deadline and the trades are coming faster now. The latest: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins are sending Gaby Sanchez to the Pirates in exchange for outfielder Gorkys Hernandez and a competitive-balance pick.
Sanchez, a first baseman, has cratered this year, hitting .202/.250/.306 in 196 major league plate appearances. He was demoted to New Orleans in early July, however, and has turned it around down there, hitting .302/.431/.491, albeit in a Pacific Coast League parks. He represents a potential upgrade for the Pirates if he can get back to his old form, but is by no means a sure thing.
Hernandez has a mere 26 major league plate appearances in his life — all this year — in which he went 2 for 24. At Indianapolis he has hit .257/.353/.346.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 62
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)