Jul 31, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Less than an hour until the deadline and the trades are coming faster now. The latest: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins are sending Gaby Sanchez to the Pirates in exchange for outfielder Gorkys Hernandez and a competitive-balance pick.
Sanchez, a first baseman, has cratered this year, hitting .202/.250/.306 in 196 major league plate appearances. He was demoted to New Orleans in early July, however, and has turned it around down there, hitting .302/.431/.491, albeit in a Pacific Coast League parks. He represents a potential upgrade for the Pirates if he can get back to his old form, but is by no means a sure thing.
Hernandez has a mere 26 major league plate appearances in his life — all this year — in which he went 2 for 24. At Indianapolis he has hit .257/.353/.346.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12