Jul 31, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Less than an hour until the deadline and the trades are coming faster now. The latest: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins are sending Gaby Sanchez to the Pirates in exchange for outfielder Gorkys Hernandez and a competitive-balance pick.
Sanchez, a first baseman, has cratered this year, hitting .202/.250/.306 in 196 major league plate appearances. He was demoted to New Orleans in early July, however, and has turned it around down there, hitting .302/.431/.491, albeit in a Pacific Coast League parks. He represents a potential upgrade for the Pirates if he can get back to his old form, but is by no means a sure thing.
Hernandez has a mere 26 major league plate appearances in his life — all this year — in which he went 2 for 24. At Indianapolis he has hit .257/.353/.346.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)