Jul 31, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Less than an hour until the deadline and the trades are coming faster now. The latest: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins are sending Gaby Sanchez to the Pirates in exchange for outfielder Gorkys Hernandez and a competitive-balance pick.
Sanchez, a first baseman, has cratered this year, hitting .202/.250/.306 in 196 major league plate appearances. He was demoted to New Orleans in early July, however, and has turned it around down there, hitting .302/.431/.491, albeit in a Pacific Coast League parks. He represents a potential upgrade for the Pirates if he can get back to his old form, but is by no means a sure thing.
Hernandez has a mere 26 major league plate appearances in his life — all this year — in which he went 2 for 24. At Indianapolis he has hit .257/.353/.346.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)