Jul 31, 2012, 5:06 PM EST
This may be the last deal to spill out after the deadline: the Indians acquired Lars Anderson from the Red Sox for righty Steven Wright.
Anderson was, for a little while there, thought of as a top prospect. He’s struggled so far this year, hitting .259/.359/.415 in 401 plate appearances in his third go-around at Triple-A.
Wright is interesting: he’s 27 and has been smacked around the minors for a few years, but he recently started throwing a knuckleball which he mixes in with his regular stuff. Very 1940s, which I like. He’s a project, though, and while his strikeout rate has ticked up nicely, he’s walking a lot of dudes too. For such is the way of the knuckleball in inexperienced hands.
Visions of Tim Wakefield? Not likely. But a boy can dream, can’t he?
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)