Jul 31, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
This may be the last deal to spill out after the deadline: the Indians acquired Lars Anderson from the Red Sox for righty Steven Wright.
Anderson was, for a little while there, thought of as a top prospect. He’s struggled so far this year, hitting .259/.359/.415 in 401 plate appearances in his third go-around at Triple-A.
Wright is interesting: he’s 27 and has been smacked around the minors for a few years, but he recently started throwing a knuckleball which he mixes in with his regular stuff. Very 1940s, which I like. He’s a project, though, and while his strikeout rate has ticked up nicely, he’s walking a lot of dudes too. For such is the way of the knuckleball in inexperienced hands.
Visions of Tim Wakefield? Not likely. But a boy can dream, can’t he?
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)