The Red Sox trade Lars Anderson to the Indians for … a knuckleballer!

Jul 31, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT

Anderson_Lars

This may be the last deal to spill out after the deadline: the Indians acquired Lars Anderson from the Red Sox for righty Steven Wright.

Anderson was, for a little while there, thought of as a top prospect. He’s struggled so far this year, hitting .259/.359/.415 in 401 plate appearances in his third go-around at Triple-A.

Wright is interesting: he’s 27 and has been smacked around the minors for a few years, but he recently started throwing a knuckleball which he mixes in with his regular stuff. Very 1940s, which I like. He’s a project, though, and while his strikeout rate has ticked up nicely, he’s walking a lot of dudes too. For such is the way of the knuckleball in inexperienced hands.

Visions of Tim Wakefield? Not likely. But a boy can dream, can’t he?

1. tfbuckfutter - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM

They should have traded for Steven Wright the comedian.

At least then this season would be kind of funny.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

So they traded an SI Writer for a comedian? Sweet!

2. crispybasil - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Wake has retired,
    Wake is risen,
    Wake will come again.

3. xpensivewinos - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I poured spot remover on my dog and he disappeared.

That Steven Wright? Love that guy!

• thetruth1313 - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I bought a pack of batteries, but the batteries werent included

4. bigleagues - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Near Future Headline Prediction:

“Sox Ink Wakefield, As Knuckleball Instructor”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM

How do you coach a knuckleball?

Step 1 – hold ball like this
      Step 2 – throw it
      Step 3 – okay, where’s my check?

• bigleagues - Jul 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM

If only it were that simple!

5. dondada10 - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM

You never know with knucklers. R.A. Dickey was a routine pitcher for over a decade.

6. keithbangedyermom - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM

then the cop asked me….do you know why I pulled you over…..I just looked up and said….maybe it had something to do with my right foot being pressed to the floorboard.

7. Kevin Gillman - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Can Lars Anderson even be a productive 1st baseman for next season and beyond?

8. Jeremy T - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one that immediately made the connection to the comedian.

“I went to the hardware store and bought some used paint. It was in the shape of a house.”

9. teaspoon1731 - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I love everything about this trade, even the fact that it sounds like a joke.

10. Francisco (FC) - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Yeah I imagine this scene similar to how TDKR ended, with Steve Wright receiving a duffel bag upon being traded with GPS coordinates tagged to it. He makes it all the way to Fenway were he finds a secret cave underneath the park. He makes it onto a platform that rises into a baseball diamond with all sorts of advanced tech necessary to learn the Knuckleball properly. His note is signed by Tim Wakefield BTW.

11. deathmonkey41 - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I wrote a song, but I can’t read music so I don’t know what it is. Every once in a while I’ll be listening to the radio and I say, “I think I might have written that.”

12. bat42boy - Jul 31, 2012 at 7:24 PM

What a stupid trade. Doesn’t help anyone now. The Indians need a new general manager who knows what they are doing.

13. matt20hew - Jul 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Reblogged this on Today's News.

14. tadthebad - Jul 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I used to work at a fire hydrant factory. Couldn’t park anywhere near the place.

15. comatrip1 - Jul 31, 2012 at 9:03 PM

…and Indians ownership questions why we don’t come out to games anymore.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3736)