Jul 31, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
UPDATE: Jayson Stark reports that the Yankees are telling everyone they’re not involved in the Dempster stuff. Good things team officials have never lied about anything ever. Of course, it’s in the Cubs’ interest to make it seem like there are more teams interested in him than just the Dodgers. So, you know, trade deadline.
9:54 AM: For a week now it has seemed as though the Dodgers were the only game in town for the Cubs if they wanted to deal Ryan Dempster. Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports, however, that there are three teams in play:
Baseball sources have confirmed to me that three teams are in play for Ryan Dempster and he will approve a deal to any of the three teams if the Cubs can agree on a suitable return in exchange for the veteran right-hander who is enjoying one of the best seasons of his career. The Los Angeles Dodgers, who have long been Dempster’s preferred destination will have to increase their offer as the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees have stepped up their pursuit over the last 48 hours.
Further: a source tells Kaplan that, contrary to earlier reports, Dempster has not told the Cubs that he’d only accept trades to the Dodgers. Rather, he would consider trades elsewhere but he wants time to consider them. That was the problem with the Braves deal, Kaplan is told.
Of course time is not on his side today. As this post goes live, there are six hours until the deadline.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 33
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 28
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 39
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 220
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)