Jul 31, 2012, 9:54 AM EST
UPDATE: Jayson Stark reports that the Yankees are telling everyone they’re not involved in the Dempster stuff. Good things team officials have never lied about anything ever. Of course, it’s in the Cubs’ interest to make it seem like there are more teams interested in him than just the Dodgers. So, you know, trade deadline.
9:54 AM: For a week now it has seemed as though the Dodgers were the only game in town for the Cubs if they wanted to deal Ryan Dempster. Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports, however, that there are three teams in play:
Baseball sources have confirmed to me that three teams are in play for Ryan Dempster and he will approve a deal to any of the three teams if the Cubs can agree on a suitable return in exchange for the veteran right-hander who is enjoying one of the best seasons of his career. The Los Angeles Dodgers, who have long been Dempster’s preferred destination will have to increase their offer as the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees have stepped up their pursuit over the last 48 hours.
Further: a source tells Kaplan that, contrary to earlier reports, Dempster has not told the Cubs that he’d only accept trades to the Dodgers. Rather, he would consider trades elsewhere but he wants time to consider them. That was the problem with the Braves deal, Kaplan is told.
Of course time is not on his side today. As this post goes live, there are six hours until the deadline.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (139)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)