Jul 31, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
UPDATE: Jayson Stark reports that the Yankees are telling everyone they’re not involved in the Dempster stuff. Good things team officials have never lied about anything ever. Of course, it’s in the Cubs’ interest to make it seem like there are more teams interested in him than just the Dodgers. So, you know, trade deadline.
9:54 AM: For a week now it has seemed as though the Dodgers were the only game in town for the Cubs if they wanted to deal Ryan Dempster. Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports, however, that there are three teams in play:
Baseball sources have confirmed to me that three teams are in play for Ryan Dempster and he will approve a deal to any of the three teams if the Cubs can agree on a suitable return in exchange for the veteran right-hander who is enjoying one of the best seasons of his career. The Los Angeles Dodgers, who have long been Dempster’s preferred destination will have to increase their offer as the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees have stepped up their pursuit over the last 48 hours.
Further: a source tells Kaplan that, contrary to earlier reports, Dempster has not told the Cubs that he’d only accept trades to the Dodgers. Rather, he would consider trades elsewhere but he wants time to consider them. That was the problem with the Braves deal, Kaplan is told.
Of course time is not on his side today. As this post goes live, there are six hours until the deadline.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)