Jul 31, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Four weeks ago the Yankees sent cash to the Phillies for Chad Qualls, but after eight unimpressive appearances he’s on the move again. New York has sent Qualls to Pittsburgh for Casey McGehee, who became superfluous as a right-handed-hitting third baseman/first baseman once the Pirates acquired Gaby Sanchez from the Marlins today.
Neither player has been much good this season. Qualls has a 4.89 ERA and 21/12 K/BB ratio in 39 innings overall, including allowing five runs in 7.1 innings since the Yankees got him from the Phillies. McGehee has hit just .230 with a .674 OPS and was even worse last year, hitting .223 with a .626 OPS.
This is about as low-wattage as a deadline deal involving two veteran players can possibly get.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)