Jul 31, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Four weeks ago the Yankees sent cash to the Phillies for Chad Qualls, but after eight unimpressive appearances he’s on the move again. New York has sent Qualls to Pittsburgh for Casey McGehee, who became superfluous as a right-handed-hitting third baseman/first baseman once the Pirates acquired Gaby Sanchez from the Marlins today.
Neither player has been much good this season. Qualls has a 4.89 ERA and 21/12 K/BB ratio in 39 innings overall, including allowing five runs in 7.1 innings since the Yankees got him from the Phillies. McGehee has hit just .230 with a .674 OPS and was even worse last year, hitting .223 with a .626 OPS.
This is about as low-wattage as a deadline deal involving two veteran players can possibly get.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)