Jul 31, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Four weeks ago the Yankees sent cash to the Phillies for Chad Qualls, but after eight unimpressive appearances he’s on the move again. New York has sent Qualls to Pittsburgh for Casey McGehee, who became superfluous as a right-handed-hitting third baseman/first baseman once the Pirates acquired Gaby Sanchez from the Marlins today.
Neither player has been much good this season. Qualls has a 4.89 ERA and 21/12 K/BB ratio in 39 innings overall, including allowing five runs in 7.1 innings since the Yankees got him from the Phillies. McGehee has hit just .230 with a .674 OPS and was even worse last year, hitting .223 with a .626 OPS.
This is about as low-wattage as a deadline deal involving two veteran players can possibly get.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)