And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Aug 1, 2012, 6:22 AM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Pirates 5, Cubs 0: A rejuvenated A.J. Burnett came into a Wrigley Field with the wind blowing in from center against a Cubs team hours off of a significant selloff and tossed a one-hitter. Oh, and Neil Walker drove in all five Pirates runs.

Rays 8, Athletics 0: James Shields pitched a very relieved “oh man I wasn’t traded at the deadline” kind of game (CG SHO, 3 H, 11K).

Phillies 8, Nationals 0: Cliff Lee pitched a very relieved “oh man I wasn’t traded at the deadline” kind of game too (7 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 7K).  I guess you could say the same about Juan Pierre too, who went 3 for 5. Stephen Strasburg was roughed up (4 IP, 8 H, 6 ER).

Angels 6, Rangers 2: Albert Pujols hit two homers and Mike Trout added one of his own. The Rangers are 7-9 since the break and the Angels are in the process of sending them a message.

Braves 7, Marlins 1: Meanwhile, the Braves have won seventh straight, are 13-5 since the break and move to within two and a half of Washington. This despite weird stuff like starting Kris Medlen for the first time in two years and using Jair Jurrjens out of the pen. Brian McCann continues the hot streak he kicked off just before the break.

Royals 8, Indians 3: I had this game on as background noise in the living room and the kids started watching it. When Derek Lowe was pitching, my daughter Mookie said “he looks older than the other players.” I said “Well, he is. He’s 39. In fact, he’s a month and a half older than I am.” She thought about this for a minute and said “wow, then he is really old.” So of course when she said that I hoped Lowe would reach down for a great performance and teach my rude little girl a lesson. Nope. Got shelled. This after I explained to her that the Royals were no good. The lesson she took away was that 39 is old as dust and one becomes feeble against even the most minor challenges at that age. Can’t decide if I’m more mad at my daughter, Lowe or the state of the universe for all of this.

Giants 4, Mets 1: News Flash: Tim Lincecum did not suck for once. One run allowed over seven innings. His last out: striking out David Wright with the bases loaded in the seventh. Tough loss for rookie Matt Harvey who pitched well but was victimized by some bad defense.

Diamondbacks 8, Dodgers 2: Arizona is making noise, beat the Dodgers again, and is turning what looked like a two-team race may become a three-team race in the NL West. Wade Miley was sharp and he was backed by homers from Paul Goldschmidt and Miguel Montero.

Mariners 7, Blue Jays 2: Nobody say anything, but the Mariners have won six in a row. And this is fun:

While Wedge explained his pleasure with Jason Vargas‘ strong start, shortstop Brendan Ryan was being doused with ketchup and beer in the shower by his teammates. The team was celebrating Ryan’s three-hit night that pushed his batting average over .200 for the first time since April 21 …

Ketchup?

Cardinals 11, Rockies 6: Matt Holliday drove in four. And continues to be a superstar no one really talks about that much. Just the most ho-hum .320/.404/.543 season I can remember in a while. He’s gonna hit 30 home runs and drive in 110 and most people won’t bat an eye.

Brewers 10, Astros 1: If you’re a Brewers fan, a ten-run explosion is nice. The fact that, after the bullpen came in it didn’t end up 10-8 with runners on the corners with no one out at some point is probably even better.

White Sox 4, Twins 3: Odd to see Francisco Liriano facing the Twins. He didn’t seem to mind, though (6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 8K).

Reds 7, Padres 6: Homer Bailey blew a 6-0 lead to which he was staked, but the bullpen restored order and Brandon Phillips hit a homer in the seventh to break it.

Red Sox 4, Tigers 1: The Tigers loaded the bases with the go-ahead run at the plate in the sixth inning, but then the rains came and action was never resumed. Mother Nature gets the save. Josh Beckett left early with back spasms and was booed by his home fans, so that was classy.  The Tigers have dropped five of six.

Orioles 11, Yankees 5: New York jumped out to a five-run lead in the first and then watched the Orioles score seven runs in the second and 11 unanswered overall. Chris Davis had the go-ahead grand slam. Ugly night for the Bombers.

1. paperlions - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM

If Ryan isn’t careful, his OBP or SLG may eclipse .300. His defense has been so off the charts good (his UZR/150 is more than twice that of any other SS and his DRS of 25 is more than twice that of everyone be Escobar, who is at 16). Despite the horrible offense, he’s still an above average SS.

• wlschneider09 - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM

He has to keep his defense up or he’ll end up with the Twins.

• kiwicricket - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Paper…..All the statistics and zone ratings in the universe won’t change my thoughts about Brendan Ryan sucking balls.

• kiwicricket - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Soooooo….. Edit function?
        I was meaning Brendan Ryan is bad at baseball. That’s all.

• paperlions - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Yeah, I’m sure pitchers that watch balls bounce past their SS aren’t frustrated at all….or pitchers watch what they think will be a hit turned into an out by a superior defender aren’t appreciative of the fact.

Fact is that good defenders don’t just save runs, they keep you pitchers from throwing more pitches….and a defender doesn’t have to make that many extra plays to make up for poor offense at an offensively starved position. He saves more runs with his defense than the few extra singles most SS have on him contribute to runs scored.

But hey, if you won’t be swayed by evidence or logic, I have no problem with that….

• kiwicricket - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I am fine with evidence, fine with logic. I know the thinking and relation between superior defense contributing significantly to the outcome of a sporting fixture. This is true is several sports. I just don’t cast the numbers spat out by some sites in bronze, then pass them on. I really do think some of the figures are dubious. Ryan’s? I don’t know. Just slightly more weary about UZR etc.
        And then there is not taking a comment too seriously, Paper.

2. Old Gator - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Ricky Nolasco’s evil pod twin has officially taken over. After a strong start to the season, he’s been going downhill rapidly – last night, responding to slugger Donnie Murphy’s first inning home run by coughing up three runs in the bottom of the frame. Pod twins are notoriously reactive. Meanwhile, his teammates had great fun booting the ball around the infield and outfield, blowing double plays and proffering the boolpen an unearned run for every earned run like some ludicrous form of matching grant. Not that it mattered, because having scored a run in the first the Rainbow Warriors felt no further obligation to score any more. It must be nice to get your work done early and then kick back and enjoy a ballgame while saving your energy for chasing strange later at the hotel bar. At least the Feesh managed to avoid another baker’s dozen left in scoring position by hitting into four double plays. And in comments to the media just before leaving on that vacation he promised himself on The Franchise last week, Larry Beinfest commented on how they’re going to get Tweeter’s knee cleaned up and stick him at first base next season because he’s “not a .230 hitter.” This after memorably remarking last year that he’s “not a .248 hitter.” By this time in 2013, we can probably look forward to Larry pronouncing Tweeter “not a .212 hitter.” The assumption this year seems to be that it’s his torn patellar tendon that’s causing him to hit like the hitter he’s not, and next year we’ll be waiting for the facehugger he shows up with in February to die and drop off so he can prove it was just an alien parasitic affliction that’s going to cause him to be the hitter he’s not next season.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I will not comment much about the Jays game except to say that Laffey has probably pitched himself out of the starting rotation. Expect Happ to replace him. I do want to discuss food with Gator. Yesterday, I was in a doctor’s office and realized that my 4:50 appointment would be a tad late in beginning. For reading material there was a lot of women’s magazines and a copy of Toronto Life from May 2011. Obviously I chose the latter. In their section with short reviews of restaurants, I spotted Caplansky’s on College Street. It was said to have the best smoked meat in the city. Is Caplansky’s the restaurant that you have raved about? I have not been there. This afternoon, I will be an invited guest to the “Grand Opening” of Spring Sushi, which overlooks the intersection of Yonge and Dundas. I was there a month ago when they had a “soft” opening and really liked it.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I liked Happ when he was with the Phillies, but has been pretty bad the past few seasons since being traded. Maybe that’s a byproduct of playing for the Astros though…

• kiwicricket - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Pork/Chicken/Lamb…add the following for a tasty South Indian marinade:
        Equal parts minced Ginger and Garlic(Lots!)(Fresh stuff, none of this vile spew out of a jar)
        Lemon zest, lemon juice, salt/cracked pepper,chopped rosemary/coriander,a slug of good olive oil…..and a teaspoon of curry powder.
        Mix…leave for a couple Hrs. —>BBQ.
        A decent Sav Blanc, an even more decent blonde…got yourself a nice little evening going.

• stex52 - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM

In general the trades between the Astros and Phillies were beneficial to both teams, with a few cases of a clear advantage. Bourne for Lidge turned out to be much more even than first appeared. Astros got the better of the Pence deal (I think; the prospects are still looking great). But the Phillies sold high on Happ. I never saw much there, even when he first got to Houston.

• Old Gator - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

That’s the place! Yeah, they have great smoked meat sandwiches and a home-mixed yellow mustard and horseradish sauce to put on it, right there in the plastic containers on the table. But their cabbage borscht (might be a bit summery for that, but….) is killer bees, and they have smoked meat hash with over easy eggs for brunch on the weekends that will roll your eyes up in your skull.

If you go, I need the name of the brand of diet cream soda (the one in the bottles) that they serve there. I was trying to get the local specialty grocer to order a case for me and forgot the goddamned name. Be sure to write it down!

• proudlycanadian - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Not sure when I will be in downtown Toronto again, but I woiiltry to remember

• stex52 - Aug 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Borscht and smoked meat hash with eggs?? Oh Jeez, now you have me all hungry. And I have to work for three more hours.

3. cleverbob - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Obviously ketchup.

• wlschneider09 - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Obviously. But the most pressing question, left unanswered by our illustrious leader I might add, is was the ketchup warm or do the M’s keep it in the fridge?

• kiwicricket - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM

‘Refrigerate after opening’ – clearly defines its post opening position in the kitchen.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM

So he just stood there while they opened up all those packets and squeezed the ketchup onto him? That takes patience.

• stex52 - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I’ll have to show my wife this blog for the “refrigerate” part. One of the few items we disagree violently on. She likes it in the pantry. Ghastly.

4. kiwicricket - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Jame Shields went back to being James Shields, the A’s went back to being the A’s. Pitched a Maddux.

5. deathmonkey41 - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Unfortunately, we might be witnessing an incredible collapse by the Yanks. Last night they put up a 5 spot in the first (might have been more, but Russell Martin stupidly got thrown out rounding too far at first on an RBI single- but hey, they hit a lot of HR’s, so they can afford to constantly leave runs on the basepads and have them thrown out for no reason). Then Ivan Nova completely fell apart in the top of the second with two outs and no one on base by giving up 7 runs. Of course after that, the Yanks abandoned the whole, let’s get guys on base and score some runs and instead went with the “I’m going to win it with one swing” approach and played right into Chris Tillman’s hands- going down the rest of the game with barely a whimper. I remember just a couple of weeks back- with everyone talking about how great the Yankees were and who cared if they could only score by hitting HRs- that’s what made them successful and the lead they had was insurmountable. Down to 5.5 now and the team is trending downward. Teams have obviously made adjustments in the way they’re pitching to them, but the Yankees hitters continue to swing for the fences and instead give opposing pitchers easy outs. I hope they get it turned around, but if not and they don’t make the playoffs- Kevin Long needs to be fired and maybe Girardi shouldn’t be that far behind him.

• psuravens19 - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I agree, but there were two runners on with two outs in the top of the 2nd. Jones and Weiters led off the inning with singles.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM

You’re right- I thought the Reynolds’ double was the first hit, but that was the first hit to score a run. It was 2 outs with 2 strikes when Nova hung that slider. Then it just got pathetic. I’m tired of seeing so many guys striking out in crucial situations because they refuse to shorten their swings.

@number42is1- if they keep playing like this, September’s not even going to matter.

• number42is1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:19 AM

GIrardi should have been fired 3 yrs ago. and Granderson is SO like its 2009 all over again. better now than in September i guess.

• bmorelikeme - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Tillman also has had a habit of being terrible in the first and then settling in nicely.

Also, I was so mad after the first, I had to shut the TV off and missed the 7 run explosion in the top of the second. Shame on me.

• protectthishouse54 - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Yes! They should have fired Girardi directly after he won the World Series. Brilliant.

• number42is1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM

ahhh another genius that probably didnt watch the WS and simply know that they won.. THEY WON in spite of Girardi’s decisions not because of them. hes a terrible manager.

• madhatternalice - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I’m an Orioles fan, and it hurts me to say this, but…

The Yankees have the third best record in baseball. They have a 97% chance of making the playoffs. Why would you fire, or even consider firing a manager in August over that? That’s just goofy. Don’t overreact to small sample size theatre.

Why am I defending the Yankees??

• Utley's Hair - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM

That’s how they roll in the 718.

6. antlerclaws - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Derek Holland needs to grow back that wispy little mustache-thing on his upper lip ( though that would take the remainder of the season). Tom Greive needs to bring back Cookie Talk. Nolan Ryan needs to sacrifice a snow monkey on the pitcher’s mound in a secret midnight ceremony. The Rangers need to do SOMETHING to get jump-started, the Angels aren’t playing around.

7. temporarilyexiled - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Craig, your team is looking very good these days. Do you now think they’ll go deep in the postseason, or do you need to see more to be convinced?

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Postseason is always a crap shoot, and the Braves have a habit of running hot and cold this year. I do, however, like the moves they made at the deadline and I like their chances a lot more now than I did a month ago.

• temporarilyexiled - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM

And Brooks Conrad is elsewhere…

8. sdelmonte - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I so wanted to see AJ throw a no-hitter just to see Yankee fans’ heads explode. Not that I think for a second he was ever going to be that good in the Bronx. But it would have been fun.

• number42is1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Explode. I clearly do not speak for all Yankees fans but this one and the ones that i know only want to see AJ do well. I am happy for him and only wish him the best. he obviously needed a change of venue and found it in Pitts.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Yeah, AJ was not to Yankees fans as Beckett is to Red Sox fans. He wasn’t hated- fans just knew it wasn’t working in NYC. I always wished him well and thought he would flourish in a place like Pittsburgh. It was an amicable divorce.

• number42is1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM

P.S. GO bucKs!!!

9. Phillies Homer - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Sooo…. I’m going to say it. Anyone else feel like the Phillies still have a shot now after these trades?

Maybe its me just bleeding red… wait, everyone bleeds red… well a “metaphoric red”. But, the two most criticized Phillies were arguably Victorino and Pence. Victorino has not been Victorino at the plate and really, was not a good table setter as a #2 guy. Pierre has been an on base machine. We are going to for sure miss Shane’s defense, though. And Pence, yea… I’m going to miss this guy’s heart and the way he plays, but, I think putting a smarter hitter 5th or 6th will manufacture just as many runs as Pence would (taking into account the runs he gives up in the field).

Watching the Phillies last night they really didn’t have a “frustrating at bat”… where once a guy got up I wasn’t immediately thinking, let’s see (insert name) screw up. Because most of the “(insert name)’s” was usually Victorino or Pence.

I think the pressure/focus is off the Phillies now b/c they aren’t expected to win. But, give me a rotation of Hamels/Halladay/Lee/Blanton and I’m going to believe until they are mathematically eliminated!

• cleverbob - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM

It’s just you. The team’s collective baseball IQ may have shot up dramatically, but it does not make up for the decline in talent/productivity. Looking on the bright side, Stub Hub asking prices should go down. I’ll probably catch a few extra midweek games now.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

They have to make sure they make it out of the season healthy. The only part of the season that will be meaningful will be trying to be a spoiler for the Nationals, taking the 2 series at the end of the season… Last night Lee dominated and Strasburg got hit hard. It was like their reminder to the Nats ‘it’s one bad year, but we’ll be back next year.’ The stadium atmosphere last night looked and sounded (on TV) like years past; a lot of cheering when the Phillies got hits, some empty seats, tons of Phillies fans.

• natstowngreg - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM

The actual atmosphere at the game wasn’t quite what it once was. The Phillies infestation was a bit smaller, and much less obnoxious.

The Nats played like their 2008-9 ancestors last night, while Cliff Lee pitched like, well, Cliff Lee. The Phillies are well-positioned to be spoilers with their starting pitching. And that means spoiling the Braves as well as the Nats.

10. Utley's Hair - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Craig, you failed to mention that Cliffy had a hit—take that designatedhitterball!!!—and stole a base, right before Rollins hit an inside-the-parker, and Kevin Frandsen hit a two-run shot for his first homer since 2007. The Phightins are on the move!!!!

11. APBA Guy - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

19-5 for July. But “only” 7-3 for the last 10. Everyone expects the team to regress in August, which would certainly mean the end of the playoff flirtation. As I said in the Selig post, the team was spinning a great deal of nonsense yesterday after doing nothing at the deadline. Honestly, I don’t think that was the major cause of last night’s debacle-that was clearly James Shields having a great night, saying “thank you” for not trading him mid-season.

But the A’s non-activity will certainly contribute to their inevitable swoon. As will any continuation of back-to-back rotation starts by Griffin and Milone against the same opponent. Those two are simply too much alike. By the third time through the lineup Monday the Rays were locking in on Griffin. That’s normal for league average pitchers. But the Rays were on Milone the second time through the order, having seen that same velocity and pitch assortment the previous night, although from a righty instead of a lefty. With Shields being so ultra effective, the game was over early, and any tv’s not already tuned to the Olympics in the Bay Area quickly switched channels, and hopefully spared the viewers listening to co-owner and GP Lew Wolff and then AGM David Forst spinning furiously about how everyone was asking for Parker AND Straily even for some lousy player who wouldn’t really be an upgrade. “Trust me on this. No I mean it. Trust me. This is how it was.”

Aside from the problem that NOBODY believes this nonsense, the Angels added Greinke and the fast falling Rangers added Dempster. And Lew wants to keep making his profit off revenue sharing, so no help for the A’s. Forst did spend a lot of time explaining how the A’s would be energetic in pursuing waiver claims while quickly glossing over the flip side of that equation, how are the A’s going to behave as sellers, since there is interest in some of their veterans. All in all, disappointing deadline day, disappointing game, and disappointing spin by the team.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3397)