Aug 1, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Scott Downs entered the All-Star break having allowed one earned run in 30 innings, but he’s coughed up nine runs in five innings since then and now the Angels have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder.
According to manager Mike Scioscia “right now it’s a minor issue and we want to keep it that way.”
Hisanori Takahashi was called up from Triple-A to take Downs’ spot on the roster and in the bullpen, although Scioscia won’t trust him to fill Downs’ late-inning role.
At age 36 any type of shoulder problem is a big worry, but the left-hander told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that the injury didn’t occur until Friday and wasn’t to blame for his previous second-half struggles.
Downs has somewhat quietly been one of the best relievers in baseball since shifting to the bullpen full time in 2007, throwing a total of 325 innings with a 2.21 ERA during that time and never posting an ERA above 3.09.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)