Aug 1, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Scott Downs entered the All-Star break having allowed one earned run in 30 innings, but he’s coughed up nine runs in five innings since then and now the Angels have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder.
According to manager Mike Scioscia “right now it’s a minor issue and we want to keep it that way.”
Hisanori Takahashi was called up from Triple-A to take Downs’ spot on the roster and in the bullpen, although Scioscia won’t trust him to fill Downs’ late-inning role.
At age 36 any type of shoulder problem is a big worry, but the left-hander told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that the injury didn’t occur until Friday and wasn’t to blame for his previous second-half struggles.
Downs has somewhat quietly been one of the best relievers in baseball since shifting to the bullpen full time in 2007, throwing a total of 325 innings with a 2.21 ERA during that time and never posting an ERA above 3.09.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (87)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)