Aug 1, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Scott Downs entered the All-Star break having allowed one earned run in 30 innings, but he’s coughed up nine runs in five innings since then and now the Angels have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder.
According to manager Mike Scioscia “right now it’s a minor issue and we want to keep it that way.”
Hisanori Takahashi was called up from Triple-A to take Downs’ spot on the roster and in the bullpen, although Scioscia won’t trust him to fill Downs’ late-inning role.
At age 36 any type of shoulder problem is a big worry, but the left-hander told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that the injury didn’t occur until Friday and wasn’t to blame for his previous second-half struggles.
Downs has somewhat quietly been one of the best relievers in baseball since shifting to the bullpen full time in 2007, throwing a total of 325 innings with a 2.21 ERA during that time and never posting an ERA above 3.09.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 41
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 57
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)