Brandon Phillips could return to action over the weekend

Aug 1, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT

brandon phillips getty Getty Images

Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips was removed from Tuesday’s game against the Padres because of a left calf strain and later told reporters that he was going to be out of commission “a while.”

But there is suddenly reason for optimism.

According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds manager Dusty Baker said Wednesday night that Phillips may be able to to return to the lineup at some point during this weekend’s three-game series against the second-place Pirates. He has already been ruled out for Thursday’s finale with the Padres.

Phillips, 31, is batting .296/.336/.457 with 13 home runs, 19 doubles, eight stolen bases and 62 RBI through 401 plate appearances this season for first-place Cincy. The Reds have won 11 of their last 12 games.

1. firemarshal1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

BP heal quickly brother we need you. You’re an awesome player and person. Who’s going to cut Marty’s hair? I think Thom should be the one or you/Joey who shave Marty’s head.

2. metalhead65 - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

dear god let’s hope he is back this weekend,I dread the thought of them calling Mr. .238 life time batting average willie harris back up to take his place.

3. whodeytn - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Not an All Star? lol

• contraryguy - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Yeah, crazy isn’t it? Right now at .298 he’s only batting 90 points above the guy who started 2B for the NL.

When guys have gone out, this team has stepped up. Broxton looked pretty lively tonight too; a super bullpen makes up for a lot of shortcomings.

• contraryguy - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM

or does that say .296 for BP? Can’t read through my tears of laughter as Chappy rips through another 9th inning. This one belongs to the Reds.

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM

…and he’s still not hitting as well as Aaron Hill or Neil Walker, neither of which made the AS game either

4. whodeytn - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Best record in baseball!

5. bgrdmacheen - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM

If they bring Willie Harris back up dusty should be fired on the spot. Wait, that should happen anyway

• metalhead65 - Aug 2, 2012 at 6:39 AM

he and jocketty! walt for signing him and dusty for playing him. possibly dusty’s best quote of the year when he was playing the .098 batting harris over frazier at the time,”we have to get willie going”.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Metalhead: You are gonna be thanking Walt for Dusty proofing this lineup for you.
        Just wait till’ the end of the year.
        Believe me. You are gonna’ be all over Walt’s “Jock”etty.

• metalhead65 - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

dude I am happy as hell they are winning but that does not mean I am ever going to love walt. my comment was on one player who is beyond awful and what I stated was fact,you can look it it up if you do not believe me. he was in fact batting that low and dusty did say that and play him over Frazier at that time and would have stayed with him but they finally had to put reds fans and him out of our misery of having to watch him. I despise everything about the cardinals as much as I do dame. I would root for the yankees before I would the cardinals and I root for whoever plays dame. that will never change. I get it you are a cards fan good for you but nothing you say is ever going to change my mind on this. look I have family in st. louis and in evansville who are all die hard cards fans and if that is not going to change my view nothing will and they are ok with it so my view of them is set in stone.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Oh I believe you wholeheartedly with regards to Dusty playing Willie Harris. I saw/heard his quote about “having to get Willie going.” And I would never try to get anyone to change allegiences. You take those with you to the grave. As you well know…all of my buddies are Redlegs fans (with a few Cubs fans thrown in here and there). All I am saying is…you are gonna’ end up loving Walt Jocketty. The vast majority of Cardinals fans were sorry to see him go. He is doing everything he can to help you guys win. In the process…he is Dusty proofing the lineup for you. That alone should make you very happy. As for rooting for the Yankees…you gotta’ be freaking joking.
        I am NL Central all the way. It’s all NL Central…and the time. That (easily) is the biggest difference between you and I. It’s no different than the Big Ten. As a lifelong IU Basketball fan I root for the Big Ten. Unless it’s Purdue Basketball. Hahahaa!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto