Aug 1, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT
But there is suddenly reason for optimism.
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds manager Dusty Baker said Wednesday night that Phillips may be able to to return to the lineup at some point during this weekend’s three-game series against the second-place Pirates. He has already been ruled out for Thursday’s finale with the Padres.
Phillips, 31, is batting .296/.336/.457 with 13 home runs, 19 doubles, eight stolen bases and 62 RBI through 401 plate appearances this season for first-place Cincy. The Reds have won 11 of their last 12 games.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47