Aug 1, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Hart had started just two career games at first base prior to this season–compared to nearly 7,000 innings as an outfielder–but he’s now logged 50 starts at the position while hitting well and if it’s up to Roenicke he’ll remain there long term.
“That’s [general manager] Doug [Melvin]‘s decision but I’ve told Doug he’s a difference-maker at first base for me,” Roenicke told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “Some because of the way he plays and some because he’s physically huge.”
Hart is 6-foot-6 and his defensive numbers in the outfield were never great, so the move makes sense as long as the Brewers have basically given up on Gamel returning from knee surgery to establish himself as a regular. Roenicke called Gamel’s situation an “issue” but considering he’s 27 years old and has never had more than 150 plate appearances in a season as a big leaguer … well, that’s an issue the Brewers can address if/when Gamel is healthy and hitting.
Hart has one more season and $10 million remaining on his contract and it looks like he’ll be spending it as a first baseman.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 0
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 31
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 16
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 25
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)