Aug 1, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Not only didn’t he destroy any Gatorade coolers, his quotes about the situation were perfectly reasonable:
It’s not my role, but I have to do it. There is no other choice. If they put me in the bullpen, they put me in the bullpen. I have to keep doing my job, and keep trying to come back and being in the rotation again. The Cubs tried to do that to me, put me in the bullpen. It didn’t work. My arm is not built to be in the bullpen, but I have to do it. I’m at a stage in my career where I’ve been my whole life as a starter. But I have to do it. I will do it until somebody remembers me.
Zambrano saying that his arm “is not built to be in the bullpen” is interesting, because at first glance he seems like exactly the type of pitcher who might thrive as a reliever late in his career. He still throws hard, but poor control and a diminishing strikeout rate have combined to make him an ineffective starter. Working out of the bullpen tends to fix those problems for a lot of pitchers and while Zambrano’s durability as a starter was once enough of a strength that shifting him to a one-inning role didn’t make sense, that’s no longer the case either.
Dating back to the beginning of last season Zambrano has a 4.67 ERA and 187/123 K/BB ratio in 262 innings spread over 44 starts.
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)