Aug 1, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Not only didn’t he destroy any Gatorade coolers, his quotes about the situation were perfectly reasonable:
It’s not my role, but I have to do it. There is no other choice. If they put me in the bullpen, they put me in the bullpen. I have to keep doing my job, and keep trying to come back and being in the rotation again. The Cubs tried to do that to me, put me in the bullpen. It didn’t work. My arm is not built to be in the bullpen, but I have to do it. I’m at a stage in my career where I’ve been my whole life as a starter. But I have to do it. I will do it until somebody remembers me.
Zambrano saying that his arm “is not built to be in the bullpen” is interesting, because at first glance he seems like exactly the type of pitcher who might thrive as a reliever late in his career. He still throws hard, but poor control and a diminishing strikeout rate have combined to make him an ineffective starter. Working out of the bullpen tends to fix those problems for a lot of pitchers and while Zambrano’s durability as a starter was once enough of a strength that shifting him to a one-inning role didn’t make sense, that’s no longer the case either.
Dating back to the beginning of last season Zambrano has a 4.67 ERA and 187/123 K/BB ratio in 262 innings spread over 44 starts.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)