Devin Mesoraco suspended three days for an ump bump

Aug 1, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

San Diego Padres v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

On Monday night Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco was ejected for poking umpire Chad Fairchild in the chest protector after Fairchild called a ball on a pitch that Mesoraco thought was a strike, and then bumping him before leaving the field.  You can’t do that, see, and today Mesoraco was suspended for three games.

Mesoraco says he’ll appeal rather than serve his suspension now. Interesting choice. If he served the suspension now, he’d miss two games against the Padres and one against Pittsburgh.  Due to the appeal, he could miss more against Pittsburgh depending on how fast MLB turns the appeal around. Or fewer if it takes longer than a couple of business days and doesn’t reduce it.

1. hansob - Aug 1, 2012 at 4:08 PM

baffled as to why he’s appealing. Starting tonight, the next three pitchers for the Reds (Arroyo, Cueto, Latos) all use Hannigan as their personal catcher.

• icanspeel - Aug 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if someone talks him out of it.. doesn’t make sense to appeal now.

2. koufaxmitzvah - Aug 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I was watching the game on mute when Dude lost his shit. I had never seen a catcher in the field respond to the home plate umpire like that on a pitch before. I’m shocked he wasn’t shipped down to the minor leagues. Then I thought, Dude’s gonna have to be contrite because his job is to work with umpires, not make enemies, and here he is appealing his suspension.

Wow. If I’m an ump, I’m never giving him the black.

• paperlions - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

See, if I’m an ump, I try to call the game the same for everyone…on account of that being my job…I’m not saying I would always be successful, but I would endeavor to do it.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Did you see Dusty’s reaction to his catcher’s behavior?

Like I said, I was watching this on mute.

And, again, Paper, I’m talking pitches on the black. Yeah, umps are people who happen to know who the people who are trying to frame pitches for their benefit around me.

Dude was unprofessional. A 2-year MLB yutz versus the entire Umpire brotherhood.

But we’ll see…..

• skids003 - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM

koufax , all this time I thought you were a liberal, in it for truth, fairness, and justice for all, and you say you wouldn’t be fair to him. Wow. And I thought only conservatives were like that.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I don’t think you guys saw him lost his shit. Barked at the ump. Turned around. Got up. Moved towards the ump and yelling in front of the home crowd.

That was pretty unprofessional, and like I said, if I’m an ump, I sort of remember just exactly who is trying to frame the pitch around the edge of the plate so as to get the borderline strike and then I will react accordingly.

His reaction was along the same lines of Roberto Alamor’s spit in the eye. At least Robby apologized shortly afterwards.

3. redguy12588 - Aug 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Most contact that Mesoraco has made all season

4. keithbangedyermom - Aug 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM

What an idiot. Appeal on what grounds?

5. whodeytn - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

The ump egged him on. Watch the video. Mes turned, the ump stepped into his face, then when he turned back he made contact with him. The ump freaked out and you can see Mes saying “I apologize for that” multiple times. That ump didn’t give him any calls all night and played an equally important role in the argument. Of course, you’re not allowed to question umpires because they’re untouchable in every way. Weak.

• paperlions - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM

All night? You mean both innings?

Man, Reds are a bunch of whiny bitches.

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Indeed, seems alot of (kicking) and screaming on this one from Reds fan.

Trickle down effect I suppose….

6. hodaghunter - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Watched the replays. As a brewer fan i hate the Reds but to be honest I don’t see any bump. I see a lot of finger pointing but nothing that would constitute in a 3 game suspension unless that finger tap is worth 3 games….

That said… the call was ball and the machine shows the pitch just missing the plate. So the ump was actually correct to call ball. I would say that Mesoraco thought he framed it well enough.

7. droopyyydog1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM

While he lost his mind it was a couple of days in the making. During the Rockies series there was more than a few complaints about the strike zone from Latos and in particular Cueto was getting squeezed on Saturday. So when it started again on Monday it was going to either be the pitchers or one of the catchers that was going to explode.

Second it isn’t going to matter because he left last nights game with dizziness so he’s bound for the 7 day DL for concussions after the collisions he was in on Sunday.

8. samu0034 - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I like Mesoraco, I have to he’s the future catcher of my fantasy team if he ever gets regular playing time. But he really needs to get some sun and/or grow a beard. He kinda reminds me of uncle fester with that pasty pale skin and darkly shadowed eyes.

9. johnnyb1976 - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM

So much Red hatred. Must mean they are in first place.. Oh!! They are lol. Haters keep hating.

10. okwhitefalcon - Aug 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Nothing to “hate” about this Reds team (less Queto) – they seem like a good bunch and are playing well with a good front office and an ownership committed to winning.

I do find the collective apathy and inferiority complex of their fanbase rather amusing, those empty red seats at GABP speak louder than the scores they’re hanging on opponents on a nightly basis.

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Another thin crowd at GABP tonight, 20,500 announced maybe 3/4 of that in the stands.

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Plus the Red have the CHEAPEST tickets in the majors.

11. watchfullhose - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM

No they don’t. So the reds don’t sell out a Wednesday night game against the abysmal Padres. Big whoop.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM

On a regular basis I spend $30.00 – $35.00 and sit right down the 1st or 3rd baseline for the Cardinals/Reds games at Great American Smallpark. It’s wonderful. Great park.
      The same tickets at Busch would be easily be double…and most likely triple the cost.

12. watchfullhose - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Keep on hating BROTHER.

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

No hate here, merely stating facts.

Really good team with pitiful fan support.

13. vincentbojackson - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Why all the fuss? He was clearly flicking a fly off of Fairchild’s chest protector.

14. watchfullhose - Aug 2, 2012 at 6:50 AM

So pitiful that their ratings are 2nd in the league. I’d say that gets the Votto and Philips contracts paid for before “elite” fan support status is reached for Wednesday night games against juggernauts like the padres.

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM

The Reds do have good local ratings, but the market is still small, so they still don’t crack the top 10 in # of households watching….I wouldn’t expect Cinci to get a mega TV deal like an LA, Chicago, Dallas, NY, or Boston team. Money for their next TV deal is already spent, if they want to spend more, they’ll need better attendance.

15. watchfullhose - Aug 2, 2012 at 8:44 AM

So, to summarize: the market is so small that their record tv #s don’t even matter (and is not a reflection of how
    much support the team has locally). At the same time attendance at a Wednesday night game against the lowly Padres is a direct reflection of how the team is supported (this time ignoring the fact that, apparently, the market is atrociously small).

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM

No, to summarize, the market is small (25th in MLB), so cross comparisons of local rating (which is a rate stat) don’t equal similar TV deals to those in larger markets.

The Reds have the best record in baseball and STILL are 17th in tickets sold, while selling the CHEAPEST tickets in the majors, for which I applaud the Reds, but…honestly, they’d probably raise prices but they can’t even get people to the park with the prices they have. The Royals are in a smaller market are horrible, and average only 5K fewer tickets sold/game than Cinci…..the Brewers are also in a smaller market and sell far more tickets.

There are a lot of fan bases that would be packing the park on a Wednesday against SD if their team had the best record in baseball.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM

No doubt Paper. I lament this to all my buddies everytime we go to the Cards/Reds games in Cincinnati. It’s a shame really. The team deserves much better. When you consider they pull from Indiana, Ohio, W. Virginia and Northern Kentucky it’s really kind of hard to believe.
        For some reason…the fans have always been apathetic. One of my buddies (easily the biggest Reds fan I have ever known/met) even bitches about the fans not showing up during the days of the Big Red Machine.

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM

As paper said, 17th in attendance – see here:

16. watchfullhose - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM

HA! You gotta find SOMETHING to bash cinci for, eh cards fans? Its not great #s BUT not bad for the 6th smallest market. :P

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Facts aren’t bashing, they are facts.

Bashing is what the Reds fans were doing to Brandon Phillips a few years ago for his repeated lack of hustle, which was so bad that fans were bashing Baker for not benching him sooner.

• watchfullhose - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Here’s another fact for ya: The Cincinnati Reds are good this year and you can’t STAND it.

Funny thing is, I was just as pissed that the cards won the series last year (cause hey, I don’t like ‘em), but I didn’t try to discredit them in any way by posting all kinds of negative “facts” that make them somehow seem less worthy of their accomplishments! That’s what a punk does.

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

No one here is lessening the Reds accomplishments this year, please see above.

Providing numbers to back up the fact the Reds fanbase is in the bottom half of the league in attendance is another story….

17. jaysjunkie - Aug 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM

First thing I thought when I heard about the length of this suspension is how in the world do you justify him getting three games for what he did and Brett Lawrie only getting one more game for throwing his bloody helmet at an ump (his claim of it being “accidental” is complete bullshit IMO)?

MLB gives the NHL a run for its money in terms of worst discipline handed out to naughty players.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet