Aug 1, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
On Monday night Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco was ejected for poking umpire Chad Fairchild in the chest protector after Fairchild called a ball on a pitch that Mesoraco thought was a strike, and then bumping him before leaving the field. You can’t do that, see, and today Mesoraco was suspended for three games.
Mesoraco says he’ll appeal rather than serve his suspension now. Interesting choice. If he served the suspension now, he’d miss two games against the Padres and one against Pittsburgh. Due to the appeal, he could miss more against Pittsburgh depending on how fast MLB turns the appeal around. Or fewer if it takes longer than a couple of business days and doesn’t reduce it.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12