Aug 1, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
On Monday night Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco was ejected for poking umpire Chad Fairchild in the chest protector after Fairchild called a ball on a pitch that Mesoraco thought was a strike, and then bumping him before leaving the field. You can’t do that, see, and today Mesoraco was suspended for three games.
Mesoraco says he’ll appeal rather than serve his suspension now. Interesting choice. If he served the suspension now, he’d miss two games against the Padres and one against Pittsburgh. Due to the appeal, he could miss more against Pittsburgh depending on how fast MLB turns the appeal around. Or fewer if it takes longer than a couple of business days and doesn’t reduce it.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15