Justice Sotomayor was in the Yankee Stadium bleachers today

Aug 1, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT

Yankees Sotomayor Baseball

When in recess, Supreme Court justices tend to go on cushy boondoggles in tropical paradises where they deliver a couple of lectures about the law or something while dining on the finest meats and cheeses.

Not Justice Sotomayor, however. She was in the right field bleachers at Yankee Stadium today:

The Supreme Court justice and Bronx native attended the Yankees’ game against Baltimore on Wednesday and sat in Section 203 of the right-field stands for the first-inning “Roll Call” of New York’s starting lineup.

Usually seen on the Supreme Court bench next to Stephen Breyer, she sat next to “Bald Vinny” Milano in a section where tickets cost $20 and $23.

Normally she sits next to “Bald Steven.”

Not that Sotomayor isn’t getting the hang of this “go to nicer places when not working” thing:

The Yankees said Sotomayor moved to better seats after Roll Call.

Youse fancypants, all a youse.

1. F14TRex.com - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM

K

2. goskinsvt - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I saw her at a Nationals game about a month ago. Seems to be a baseball fan, a good thing no matter your politics.

3. Marty - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I can almost feel Craig’s erection through his prose.

• royalsfaninfargo - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM

No doubt!

4. Jeremy T - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

She spoke at the NYU graduation this spring, and there had to be at least 5 separate mentions of her “beloved Yankees”, along with almost as many shots at the Mets. As far as I can tell, she seems to be a legit fan, which is always nice to see, as opposed to many politicians who seem to just be pretending in order to get a few extra votes. I guess she wouldn’t really have to worry about votes anyways, since she already has her seat for life.

5. hittfamily - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM

It’s a good thing she didn’t go to a Jets game. Florio’s readers wouldn’t have any idea who she is.

6. seanb20124 - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Moonbat

7. sportsdrenched.com - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

She was also the judge who told the owners to “knock that crap off” also known as an injuction, in 1995 ending “The Strike”.

From what I’ve read in other places she definatly one of us…but with a real job.

• cur68 - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Can she make Bud institute replay? If she can then she’s not only a judge she’s Wonder Woman.

8. drewsylvania - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I guess she couldn’t afford premium seats for the whole game. Who can?

9. chill1184 - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Supported Robomycare, a statist, supports affirmative action, and supports eminent domain. Being a Yankees fan just adds icing onto the slime filled cake.

• keithbangedyermom - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:44 PM

At least she’s hot.

• Reflex - Aug 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Thats why I’m a fan. I like justices who uphold the actual constitution rather than the constitution I wrote in my head.

10. poprox13 - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Slow news day?

11. dremmel69 - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM

This story is….just…..so…..precious……

Why can’t conservative people/politicians/judges be this cool and down-to-earth. Probably because their plates are full with being evil, soulless and hateful.

I enjoy the fact that we live in a completely black-and-white world where everything is as we imagine it to be.

Keep up the feel-good stories, Craig!!!!

• itsmekirill - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM

But you can see Scalia on Fox News hawking his book and talking trash about the Chief Justice. that’s cool and down-to-earth, isn’t it?

• dremmel69 - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM

EXACTLY! You sure nailed it, itsmekirill! If everyone was as informed as you are, wouldn’t this be a super-happy -fun-time world to live in? What a breath of fresh air you have brought to this uninformed world………Thank You!!!!

12. arrooo - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

She is also the judge that ruled that only minority firefighter should be promoted in Connecticut. Thankfully the supreme court ruled against her.

13. deathmonkey41 - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

She always looks like she just went 12 rounds with Tyson.

14. keithbangedyermom - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Mixing politics on a baseball blog is awesome!!

15. miketreedy - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM

So f****** what. Lot’s of people were probably at the Yankees game.

16. jimtron11 - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Thanks for mixing sports and politics. What a glowing writeup for the most liberal judge in the body. It’s almost like Harballtalk is NBC-owned…

17. randygnyc - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Liberal trash.

18. 27xwschamps - Aug 2, 2012 at 2:26 AM

All u sob’s r haters… Cause u know who rules MLB Universe… 27X WS CHAMPS.. Suck it…

19. bbk1000 - Aug 2, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Justice Sotomayor, yes I remember her, the one who thinks every ruling needs to involve race. Her of the 60% reversal rate. What did she say?

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasnt lived that life.”

What a wack job…

• thefalcon123 - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM

” Her of the 60% reversal rate”

I won’t delve to deeply into Supreme Court politics, but there is a reason behind this. She was a liberal judge in a time when higher courts were dominated by conservatives. I don’t have any data on this, but I would venture to guess you would see similar statistics with over liberal judges during the same period.

Conversely, I’m betting conservative judges also had high reversal rates at times when higher courts were dominated by liberal judges.

And let me re-state, I have no statistics to back this up, just assumptions.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Falcon:
        Despite the fact that we tend to sit on opposite sides of the aisle…I appreciate the discourse.
        I mean that sincerely.
        With that in mind…in my opinion…you are making excuses w/ regards to here reversal rate.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Yup. Those White men sure know how to run a country, don’t they?

20. skids003 - Aug 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Fits right in with the current administration.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Do some research on Sotomayor vs. Helen Miers and get back in touch with me, wontcha?

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Oh. Her name is Harriet Miers. She’s the lady who never became a lawyer but brought George W. his warm milk while he read about the important cases that allowed torture to be implemented at Guantanamo Bay.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

She was very much a lawyer Sandy. She graduated from Southern Methodist University in 1967 with a degree in Mathematics. She then graduated it’s Law School w/ a Juris DoctoreDegree in 1970. From 1972 – 2001 she worked for a Dallas Law Firm and was the 1st Female Lawyer hired by the firm. She was also the 1st Female to head the Dallas Bar Association and the State Bar of Texas. She was nomiated to the Supreme Court but ultimately asked to be withdrawn from consideration. It matters not as she was ill prepared for the position. Hell…Bush’s own Chief of Staff pushed for her resignation. People routinely hire, promote and/or appoint longtime chums to various positions at many different levels. Right or wrong…this happens and has always happened.
        I realize you are not a George W. Bush fan. But other than being his longtime friend I am not sure what you are getting at with regards to her specifically. I saw no mention of warm milk or Guantanamo Bay while doing some recent research on her. Hahaha!

21. bbk1000 - Aug 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Seriously, regardless of political beliefs Craig doesn’t censor posts…most of the people who write on this board do….good for Craig, probably good for all of us..

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3094)