Quote of the Day: “2008 is getting to be long ago”

Aug 1, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT

Ruben Amaro, Charlie Manuel AP

Charlie Manuel reacts to the Phillies sell-off:

“Yeah, 2008 is getting to be long ago,” Manuel said. “I look up at the pictures up on the wall in our locker room and yeah, it’s getting to be a pretty long time ago.”

That sounds depressing, especially if, like me, you love Manuel.  But it’s not that gloomy. This article at CSNPhilly.com reminds folks of the last time the Phillies were in sell-mode. It was 2006, Pat Gillick said they’d compete again in 2008 and they won the whole damn thing.

Of course, Pat Gillick isn’t running things now, so perhaps expectations should be adjusted accordingly …

1. deathmonkey41 - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I think a lot of people gave Amauro a lot more credit for those teams than he actually deserved. I think it was almost all Gillick.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Not all Gillick, under the much maligned Ed Wade tenure guys like Pat Burrell, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Brett Myers and Cole Hamels were drafted and while I’m sure the scouting director gets a ton of credit for those ultimately Wade was the one who had to choose which pieces would add to the team and which he could afford to deal away.

I think Ed Wade’s biggest problem was in evaluating free agents. His FA deals were just awful in general. He seemed to do much better with the farm. Gillick brought the necessary acumen to add the right complementary pieces.

• dennisund - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

This is right. Wade left a good nucleus to work with, and Gillick closed the deal. Amaro rode his coattail with a huge budget and threw money at guys like Halladay, Lee, Howard, Lidge, Pappelbon, Blanton, Rollins. It’s amazing to me that the Phils have gotten better on paper each year since 2008 until this year, yet the results didn’t pan out in that direction. Amaro’s plan seemed to be: get the best available pitchers, patch in around it. I can’t blame him for doubling down to gather talent at the expense of the farm system, but he has left them in a position to slim down then retool. I can only hope they do all their sucking in one year.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

True- I had forgotten about the pieces Wade had added to that WS team.

• stex52 - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Wade managed to accomplish nothing of much value in Houston. But he was handed a huge mess, an incompetent scouting staff, and an owner who had decided to milk the cash flow until he sold out. I never disliked Wade, but he wasn’t up to the enormity of that challenge.

But he always deserved more credit for the things he did right in Phillie. That is why they hired him back into their scouting organization.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

That is why they hired him back into their scouting organization.

And THIS is where I believe Ed Wade’s strengths can benefit the Phillies the most.

• paperlions - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I think Mike Arbuckle is the guy you are looking for…former asst. GM and in charge of the draft.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Yes, he was there with Wade when these guys were drafted. Didn’t mean to slight Mike, but Ed was in charge of approving these things and of course once the players were drafted Ed could have decided to trade any or all of those guys for FA. He preserved the right pieces as he moved forward, undoubtedly aided by Mike.

2. ditto65 - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I think Charlie Manuel gets way more credit than he deserves.

• ditto65 - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Sorry – leaves pitchers in too long; overworks individual pen arms when he does pull the plug on the starter; relies too much on manager/player dialogue rather than performance when making line-up…

3. kopy - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I thought it worked the other way around for old folks and time. More like, “It seems like just yesterday we won the World Series and my car got 40 rods to the hogsdead and that’s the way I liked it!”

• kopy - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

*hogshead. The sentence just doesn’t make sense without that correction.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Well, if you’re using a hogshead, isn’t it a given that the hog’s dead?

• stex52 - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM

One hogshead = 63 gallons. And yes, I am an old person. :-)

4. flyeredup - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Amaro got fleeced in the Hunter Pence deal. Terrible!

• funnyman549 - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM

By Ed Wade.

5. hittfamily - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Kyle Kendrick wishes he actually was traded to the Yumiyori Giants for Kobayashi.

• 12strikes - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

God knows I would rather see Kobayashi come in with the game on the line.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Keyser Soze’s lawyer or the guy who eats hot dogs and wings? But KK is much better out of the pen than he is out of the gate.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:51 PM

True though sometimes KK turns it on and goes 7 or 8 without blinking. Makes me wonder if Roy and KK have been doing some “Trading Places” skit this year.

6. hisgirlgotburrelled - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Ah yes, the sell-off of ’06. They literally got 0 value in return. But that kicked off 5 years of division titles and a world series win… I wonder if Matthew Pouli(something) labeled them (and for some reason, the fans) losers at the trade deadline back then? I’ll bet he looks a lot into pre-season and power rankings, and maybe even pre-season power rankings.

That sell-off was for different reasons. It was a completely different situation with the franchise.

7. xmatt0926x - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

It’s funny how the Phillies fans are supposed to be in mourning and dressed in black as if some tragedy has occurred. I guess while we are in the moment we lose perspective of the big picture. Who are all the other franchises that have all the 7 or 8 year runs of division titles? They must be out there because everyone is acting like the Phillies coming back to earth is so strange. Ok, the Yankees seem to win the division most years so there’s one. Who else? You have to give the Cardinals credit for two titles in 5 or 6 years. The Sox did it a while back as well. What am I missing? 5 divisions in a row, a World Series title, another World series appearance. I’ll take it. This doesn’t excuse Ruben’s shitty moves and I was bashing him 2 years ago but overall the Phillies just had a great run that likely will not be matched in a good while. And anyone who thinks this is the type of franchise that now has to wait another 5 or 6 years to get back on top just hasn’t been paying attention. I’m not hanging my head at all.

8. xmatt0926x - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM

** I know the Phillies run was 5 years, not 7 or 8. My point was to ask who has done better than the Phillies 5. Just wanted to clear that up. I need an edit button.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3032)