Aug 1, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Last week the Rays designated Hideki Matsui for assignment and today they released the 38-year-old after he hit just .147 in 34 games.
It’s hard to imagine Matsui getting another big-league opportunity at this point, or at least not until he proves he can still hit a little bit in the minors.
Tampa Bay oddly called him up from Triple-A despite Matsui hitting just .170 in 13 games there.
Helluva career, both in Japan and America, but Matsui appears to be finished.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)