Aug 1, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Last week the Rays designated Hideki Matsui for assignment and today they released the 38-year-old after he hit just .147 in 34 games.
It’s hard to imagine Matsui getting another big-league opportunity at this point, or at least not until he proves he can still hit a little bit in the minors.
Tampa Bay oddly called him up from Triple-A despite Matsui hitting just .170 in 13 games there.
Helluva career, both in Japan and America, but Matsui appears to be finished.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)