Aug 1, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Last week the Rays designated Hideki Matsui for assignment and today they released the 38-year-old after he hit just .147 in 34 games.
It’s hard to imagine Matsui getting another big-league opportunity at this point, or at least not until he proves he can still hit a little bit in the minors.
Tampa Bay oddly called him up from Triple-A despite Matsui hitting just .170 in 13 games there.
Helluva career, both in Japan and America, but Matsui appears to be finished.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona