Aug 1, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
As the Rockies try to avoid the worst season in franchise history Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the team is “expected to announce a restructuring of responsibilities in their front office.”
However, according to Renck general manager Dan O’Dowd is not in danger of losing his job and instead will simply be “focusing more on the minor leagues and player development while assistant general manager Bill Geivett is given expanded day-to-day duties with the major-league club.”
That means technically O’Dowd will still be Geivett’s boss, but this sure seems like a way to take power from someone who’s been the team’s GM since 1999 without actually demoting him.
O’Dowd’s reign has been remarkably long considering the Rockies’ lack of success. Their overall record in his 13 seasons is 962-1,084, with just two playoff appearances, and this year’s team is on pace for 102 losses. Yet he’s the fourth-longest tenured GM in baseball and, for now at least, will be keeping his job despite changes to the front office.
UPDATE: It’s official, as the Rockies announced that Geivett’s new title is Senior Vice President of Major League Operations.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)