Aug 1, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
As the Rockies try to avoid the worst season in franchise history Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the team is “expected to announce a restructuring of responsibilities in their front office.”
However, according to Renck general manager Dan O’Dowd is not in danger of losing his job and instead will simply be “focusing more on the minor leagues and player development while assistant general manager Bill Geivett is given expanded day-to-day duties with the major-league club.”
That means technically O’Dowd will still be Geivett’s boss, but this sure seems like a way to take power from someone who’s been the team’s GM since 1999 without actually demoting him.
O’Dowd’s reign has been remarkably long considering the Rockies’ lack of success. Their overall record in his 13 seasons is 962-1,084, with just two playoff appearances, and this year’s team is on pace for 102 losses. Yet he’s the fourth-longest tenured GM in baseball and, for now at least, will be keeping his job despite changes to the front office.
UPDATE: It’s official, as the Rockies announced that Geivett’s new title is Senior Vice President of Major League Operations.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)