Aug 1, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Via Deadspin, here’s an investigative report from 810 WHB radio in Kansas City, detailing how millions of public dollars given to the Kansas City Royals for repairs and maintenance to Kaufman Stadium have not been used for repair and maintenance. Indeed, 91% of it has been used for things besides maintenance:
The Royals have received at least $12.7 million from taxpayers that was approved by the Jackson County Sports Complex Authority as part of the RMMO provision of the team’s lease with the county and spent it on full and part time employee salaries, security, cable tv, first aid, utilities, telephones and even payroll taxes. By using the money for payroll taxes, the team literally collected taxpayer money to pay their own taxes. The Sports Authority approved the expenses and operates separately from Jackson County government.
This is frightening. Not just because it’s kinda fishy, but because it means that tax payers may be indirectly paying Jeff Francoeur nearly $7 million to hit .238/.275/.366 this year!
Is it illegal? No: there is a provision in the Royals lease which allows them to use the fund to pay “Event Day Operations.” 810 WHB has a detailed breakdown of what the Royals are spending this money on. I suppose a bit of it actually goes for day-of-event expenses in the common use of the term. The rest of it: not really, but I’m assuming the lease’s definition of such operations is pretty expansive.
But the notable part for me: those “Event Day Operations,” however defined, were not approved by taxpayers. The fund, when put before voters, literally was just for stadium upkeep. The Royals negotiated the expanded uses for that fund later, with the Sports Authority, and without voter approval.
A baseball team making any effort it can to have its operations underwritten by taxpayers with minimal voter say-so? I am SHOCKED.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (196)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)