Aug 1, 2012, 8:22 AM EST
Via Deadspin, here’s an investigative report from 810 WHB radio in Kansas City, detailing how millions of public dollars given to the Kansas City Royals for repairs and maintenance to Kaufman Stadium have not been used for repair and maintenance. Indeed, 91% of it has been used for things besides maintenance:
The Royals have received at least $12.7 million from taxpayers that was approved by the Jackson County Sports Complex Authority as part of the RMMO provision of the team’s lease with the county and spent it on full and part time employee salaries, security, cable tv, first aid, utilities, telephones and even payroll taxes. By using the money for payroll taxes, the team literally collected taxpayer money to pay their own taxes. The Sports Authority approved the expenses and operates separately from Jackson County government.
This is frightening. Not just because it’s kinda fishy, but because it means that tax payers may be indirectly paying Jeff Francoeur nearly $7 million to hit .238/.275/.366 this year!
Is it illegal? No: there is a provision in the Royals lease which allows them to use the fund to pay “Event Day Operations.” 810 WHB has a detailed breakdown of what the Royals are spending this money on. I suppose a bit of it actually goes for day-of-event expenses in the common use of the term. The rest of it: not really, but I’m assuming the lease’s definition of such operations is pretty expansive.
But the notable part for me: those “Event Day Operations,” however defined, were not approved by taxpayers. The fund, when put before voters, literally was just for stadium upkeep. The Royals negotiated the expanded uses for that fund later, with the Sports Authority, and without voter approval.
A baseball team making any effort it can to have its operations underwritten by taxpayers with minimal voter say-so? I am SHOCKED.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)