Aug 1, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
A reader writes:
I just received this email from the Red Sox apparently pleading with me to buy tickets to tonight’s game. The catch is that I’ve never been on any Red Sox email list nor ever gotten an email from the club before, except past ticket-buying confirmations from redsox.com and the like. The point is, they’ve never sent this kind of email before out of the blue and to a listserv that they apparently just decided to pillage from their databases.
I know they’re extremely paranoid about losing the sellout streak and it’s just very interesting to see how stark their pitches to sell tickets have become. They are—dare we say it—starting to have to do what other teams have to do!
I blame Beckett. Boooooo!
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 19
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 22
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)