Aug 1, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
A reader writes:
I just received this email from the Red Sox apparently pleading with me to buy tickets to tonight’s game. The catch is that I’ve never been on any Red Sox email list nor ever gotten an email from the club before, except past ticket-buying confirmations from redsox.com and the like. The point is, they’ve never sent this kind of email before out of the blue and to a listserv that they apparently just decided to pillage from their databases.
I know they’re extremely paranoid about losing the sellout streak and it’s just very interesting to see how stark their pitches to sell tickets have become. They are—dare we say it—starting to have to do what other teams have to do!
I blame Beckett. Boooooo!
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 20
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 37
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 39
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)