Aug 1, 2012, 1:31 PM EST
A reader writes:
I just received this email from the Red Sox apparently pleading with me to buy tickets to tonight’s game. The catch is that I’ve never been on any Red Sox email list nor ever gotten an email from the club before, except past ticket-buying confirmations from redsox.com and the like. The point is, they’ve never sent this kind of email before out of the blue and to a listserv that they apparently just decided to pillage from their databases.
I know they’re extremely paranoid about losing the sellout streak and it’s just very interesting to see how stark their pitches to sell tickets have become. They are—dare we say it—starting to have to do what other teams have to do!
I blame Beckett. Boooooo!
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)