The Red Sox may be getting desperate to maintain the sellout streak

Aug 1, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT

A reader writes:

I just received this email from the Red Sox apparently pleading with me to buy tickets to tonight’s game. The catch is that I’ve never been on any Red Sox email list nor ever gotten an email from the club before, except past ticket-buying confirmations from redsox.com and the like. The point is, they’ve never sent this kind of email before out of the blue and to a listserv that they apparently just decided to pillage from their databases.

I know they’re extremely paranoid about losing the sellout streak and it’s just very interesting to see how stark their pitches to sell tickets have become. They are—dare we say it—starting to have to do what other teams have to do!

I blame Beckett. Boooooo!

1. sdelmonte - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Lousy stinking French-speaking Irish playwright!

2. F14TRex.com - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM

The streak is a mirage that’s been over for a long time anyway.

• rogersjd16 - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I could care less about the sellout streak, but there were articles written conflicting this too. The fact is, seats and standing room are quite different. Which is why there’s often 38K in Fenway compared to 37+. And the Sox can’t control if the 3rd party agencies sell their tickets or not. Those 300 tickets were standing room. The fact is, those SEATS are sold. Whether their filled is a different question. And while I go to about 15 games a year, I watch almost every game. That picture was taken on a 45 degree night and in a tiny corner of the Park. It was maybe 200 seats. And again, unfilled, not unsold. The Fens are full every night. The TMZ journalists in this town (God what happen to the greats) just like writing unsubstantiated stories to dredge up reactions.

Put it this way – there were plenty of empty seats in Cleveland and Colorado when they were going through their streaks in the 90s as well.

3. ditto65 - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Valentine should keep his mouth shut.

4. xmatt0926x - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

The Phillies streak will very likely end this season and the Sox may not be far behind. Who cares? The fanbase of the 2 teams is still insane and will financially support the franchises. That’s all that counts.

5. SteelyMcBeam6 - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM

This article was probably difficult for Craig to type with Derek jeters cock being in his mouth and all.

• jamaicanjasta - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

And the quality of this discourse continues to improve.

• number42is1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

just so i understand…. how does ones cock in ones mouth prevent one from typing?

• mcsnide - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM

The gift basket blocks the keyboard?

• number42is1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

My understanding that gift baskets only apply if you stay the night..

• Detroit Michael - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Time to ban a commenter.

• Tim OShenko - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Wait, what?

First off, why would that make it difficult to type? He should still have his hands free in this scenario.
      Second, why Jeter? Does Craig have some well-documented mancrush on Jeter or something? I’ve never seen any reference to such before.
      Third, if that’s true, I sure hope Craig receives a gift basket for his trouble.

Also, homophobic slurs are pretty amateur. Weaker than fart jokes, really. Next time, try something like “Craig’s columns always smell like dooty. He must use a turd to write his articles.” Much more funny, no?

• number42is1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

isn’t is speled doody?
        hehe i said doody

• thetruth1313 - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Loosen up! It not hysterical- but it gets a chuckle.

And how are fart jokes not funny?

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Hold up Tim. Fart jokes are weak? Man! I really liked fart jokes too.
        So I can’t use them anymore? Ever? Just for the record…when did they become weak?
        This whole thing is very dissapointing.

• patsandsox - Aug 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Wow you are a complete fool on so many counts. I do not always agree with Craig, but childish, homophobic slurs that sound like this is a naughty 12 year old that somehow got on the internet and posted to this blog.

Red Sox fan that could care less about the streak. It only matters to Larry and John Henry. I just want to some sustained winning and less whinnig.

Also as much less of Josh Beckett as possible. If they just cut him and ate the contract at this point I wouldnt mind. Its just another one of the albatross deals that Theo left the Sox with before he cut and ran to Chicago

6. stex52 - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Gotta say it. The Phillies phans here are serious homers, and they can get really pumped up. It’s kind of fun.

But the Sox Nation seems to bring out the real haters.

7. nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Perhaps they can fill any empty seats with military personnel. That approach seems to be working brilliantly at the London Olympics!

8. number42is1 - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Based on that email it looks like the Sox have already sold out… oh.. not what you meant? sorry!

9. bigleagues - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Forgive me some skepticism here . . .

Whomever the anonymous reader is who passed along that ticket pitch, please feel free to email the actual email.

You can take a quick full document screen shot in your browser with something like FireShot (Firefox) , mask out any identifying information and save it as a PDF. Then create a quick anonymous email account (i.e. HushMail) and send it to myusername at gmail. com

I’m open to investigating this further and either proving or disproving the contention that the sellout streak is in jeopardy.

For the record, I don’t believe The Streak is in danger at all this season. Especially if the Sox continue to win. However, short of a miraculous – if not delusional – run deep into the post-season, if big changes do not occur quickly after this season is over, then watch those ticket sales drag for as long into the Winter and Spring as is necessary to fix the teams personnel problems.

I do have a very good familiarity with how tickets are held, released, sold and distributed – call it an enhanced BS detection.

• ltzep75 - Aug 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I’m not sure of the efficacy of anon’s comment, but I did receive an email from redsox ticketing on 7/30 which offered tickets to the current series with los tigres. I will, however, mention that I am on the list and have purchased tickets before (usually thru ace ticket).

That said, I think it’s fair to point out that while the tickets may have been purchased, meat may not necessarily be in every seat each game this year.

• bigleagues - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:12 PM

My thing is, the people who believe that the Red Sox ticket selling streak is cooked up

a) do not understand how tickets are reserved, allocated, sold and reported.

b) while I have no idea what MLB’s level of scrutiny is when it examines team financials, I think its reasonable to believe that MLB wouldn’t look too kindly upon the Red Sox dumping primary stock onto the secondary market to preserve a sellout streak. Such a practice, if allowed, would create a further economic advantage that larger market teams could exploit over smaller market teams.

So I do not believe, yet anyway, that the Red Sox have put such a scheme into action.

10. willclarkgameface - Aug 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

That shit ended a long time ago if it was even real to begin with.

Once Ace and Stub Hub got involved, there’s no way they should have been able to continue a “streak”. I mean, no one really cares, but they can put it on the list of stats the team has amassed once they get ready to sell (which I feel may be sooner than we all think).

Hit them where it hurts and DON’T GO TO GAMES.

• bigleagues - Aug 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM

1) Hittin’em where it hurts in this day and age is not tuning into games. Sure it hurts when no one goes to games, but nearly as bad as when ratings tank on their RSN that generates untold hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue each year.

2) Until someone comes forward and blows the cover off this so far theoretical conspiracy that the Red Sox have with Stub Hub and Ace to dump unsold inventory on the market I’m going to continue to base my opinion on how original primary market tickets are actually sold.

11. SteelyMcBeam6 - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM

It was a joke…relax…didn’t realize some of you were riding that high horse so hard. If you can’t find the humor in a comment that’s a you problem so just let it be instead of coming back with some “holier than thou, I’ve never said a dumb thing in my life” comment, just makes you a hypocrit.

• cur68 - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Actually, I thought they all showed a lot of restraint. Unlike you, of course. If that’s your idea of funny, please stop telling jokes.

12. SteelyMcBeam6 - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I’ll say whatever the fuck I want cur… And i couldt care less if you cant handle it. you don’t like it? Go join a Justin bieber website and read those G rated comments so you, god willing, can avoid reading any comments you may disagree with.

13. theskinsman - Aug 5, 2012 at 3:58 PM

So Craig wrtes a column on an email a ‘reader’ sent him.You would think with Jeter getting an operation to become male, he’d be all over that equally valid story…

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3110)