Aug 2, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
However, now that he’s with the Angels there are already questions about whether Greinke might bypass free agency for a big-money deal.
General manager Jerry Dipoto downplayed that possibility, telling Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com that the two sides haven’t even discussed a potential contract extension. It’s very early, of course–Greinke has made just one start for his new team–but Gonzalez notes that the Angels will have plenty of money to throw around this offseason with Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu, and potentially Ervin Santana and Dan Haren coming off the books.
Greinke has said he was very happy to be traded to the Angels, but compared to the Brewers they may not feel the same sense of urgency to get something done during the season because they’ve shown the ability to out-bid teams for big-name free agents on the open market before.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)