Aug 2, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
However, now that he’s with the Angels there are already questions about whether Greinke might bypass free agency for a big-money deal.
General manager Jerry Dipoto downplayed that possibility, telling Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com that the two sides haven’t even discussed a potential contract extension. It’s very early, of course–Greinke has made just one start for his new team–but Gonzalez notes that the Angels will have plenty of money to throw around this offseason with Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu, and potentially Ervin Santana and Dan Haren coming off the books.
Greinke has said he was very happy to be traded to the Angels, but compared to the Brewers they may not feel the same sense of urgency to get something done during the season because they’ve shown the ability to out-bid teams for big-name free agents on the open market before.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)