Aug 2, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
It’s not quite the Rangers calling up stud third base prospect Mike Olt, but according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle the A’s are promoting a top prospect of their own in right-hander Daniel Straily.
Straily was a 24th-round pick in 2009 and wasn’t considered an elite prospect coming into the season, but his minor-league numbers were very strong from 2009-2011 and this year they’re spectacular.
He’s started 22 games between Double-A and Triple-A, posting a 2.60 ERA and 175/37 K/BB ratio in 138 innings while holding opponents to a .197 batting average. That includes a ridiculous 1.36 ERA, 67 strikeouts, and .149 opponents’ batting average in 53 innings since a promotion to Triple-A.
And he’s hardly a soft-tosser, with a fastball that reaches 92-94 miles per hour, plus a slider and changeup that both draw very positive reviews. Straily has been about as good as a pitcher can possibly be in the minors this season, so it’ll be interesting to see if he can go from prospect-list afterthought to making a big impact in the majors six months later.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)