Aug 2, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
It’s not quite the Rangers calling up stud third base prospect Mike Olt, but according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle the A’s are promoting a top prospect of their own in right-hander Daniel Straily.
Straily was a 24th-round pick in 2009 and wasn’t considered an elite prospect coming into the season, but his minor-league numbers were very strong from 2009-2011 and this year they’re spectacular.
He’s started 22 games between Double-A and Triple-A, posting a 2.60 ERA and 175/37 K/BB ratio in 138 innings while holding opponents to a .197 batting average. That includes a ridiculous 1.36 ERA, 67 strikeouts, and .149 opponents’ batting average in 53 innings since a promotion to Triple-A.
And he’s hardly a soft-tosser, with a fastball that reaches 92-94 miles per hour, plus a slider and changeup that both draw very positive reviews. Straily has been about as good as a pitcher can possibly be in the minors this season, so it’ll be interesting to see if he can go from prospect-list afterthought to making a big impact in the majors six months later.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 3
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 35
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (94)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)