Aug 2, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
It’s not quite the Rangers calling up stud third base prospect Mike Olt, but according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle the A’s are promoting a top prospect of their own in right-hander Daniel Straily.
Straily was a 24th-round pick in 2009 and wasn’t considered an elite prospect coming into the season, but his minor-league numbers were very strong from 2009-2011 and this year they’re spectacular.
He’s started 22 games between Double-A and Triple-A, posting a 2.60 ERA and 175/37 K/BB ratio in 138 innings while holding opponents to a .197 batting average. That includes a ridiculous 1.36 ERA, 67 strikeouts, and .149 opponents’ batting average in 53 innings since a promotion to Triple-A.
And he’s hardly a soft-tosser, with a fastball that reaches 92-94 miles per hour, plus a slider and changeup that both draw very positive reviews. Straily has been about as good as a pitcher can possibly be in the minors this season, so it’ll be interesting to see if he can go from prospect-list afterthought to making a big impact in the majors six months later.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 67
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)