Aug 2, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
It’s not quite the Rangers calling up stud third base prospect Mike Olt, but according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle the A’s are promoting a top prospect of their own in right-hander Daniel Straily.
Straily was a 24th-round pick in 2009 and wasn’t considered an elite prospect coming into the season, but his minor-league numbers were very strong from 2009-2011 and this year they’re spectacular.
He’s started 22 games between Double-A and Triple-A, posting a 2.60 ERA and 175/37 K/BB ratio in 138 innings while holding opponents to a .197 batting average. That includes a ridiculous 1.36 ERA, 67 strikeouts, and .149 opponents’ batting average in 53 innings since a promotion to Triple-A.
And he’s hardly a soft-tosser, with a fastball that reaches 92-94 miles per hour, plus a slider and changeup that both draw very positive reviews. Straily has been about as good as a pitcher can possibly be in the minors this season, so it’ll be interesting to see if he can go from prospect-list afterthought to making a big impact in the majors six months later.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)