David Ortiz says he’s pain free

Aug 2, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox  v Tampa Bay Rays Getty Images

David Ortiz is on the comeback trail and says he no longer feels any pain in his achilles:

“I feel better today than days before,” Ortiz said Wednesday. “Hopefully, I will continue feeling better every day. We’ll see if I can go back into the fire … The doctor checked me out every day, and he found less tendinitis on my Achilles [today], so that’s good.”

That’s good news, but it may be premature. Because “into the fire” means actually running the bases and stuff, which he has yet to do. There’s still no timetable for his return.

1. papalurchdxb - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM

he’ll be joining the rotation if the current implosion carries on, so as long as he can cover first base…

2. number42is1 - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Pain free, eh? Wait till he gets back and finds out that they are still in last…

• wendell7 - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM

except they’re not in last, … but don’t let facts spoil your fun

• number42is1 - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM

My bad…. you’re right. im truly truly sorry… SECOND to last… much better. i mean hey.. they get a lower draft pick so thats a good thing, right?

• bigleagues - Aug 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

And they’re 3.5 GB in the Wild Card. Hardly an imposing lead to overcome. But hey, let the h8rz have their fun.

3. mybrunoblog - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Strangely, Ortiz went on to say “not only am I feeling better, my appetite is back”. Ortiz then joined Beckett in downing 3 bottles of ice cold Sam Adams and a half bucket of wings. This was immediately followed by their daily dose of Bobby V bashing.

• Cyn - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Hmm…Ortiz has never bashed Bobby V, wasn’t at all involved in the ‘chicken and beer’ stuff and actually came into this season at least 30 pounds lighter than he was last year.

But making up stuff is fun too.

• daisycutter1 - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Look, David Ortiz’s mom is posting.

4. deathmonkey41 - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I’m sure he’ll find something else to cry and whine about.

5. xpensivewinos - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Ortiz says some dumb stuff occasionally, but all in all he seems like a good guy and he continues to produce at an elite level when people had him dead and buried a few years ago.

And the way he murders left-handed pitching now is damn impressive………..and he absolutely held his own at first base when the team catered to Youkilis and threw Adrian in right field.

With all the tools on the Red Sox, I have no problem with this guy. He showed up this year in probably the best shape of his life and has crushed the ball since day one. Unfortunately for the Red Sox, a 38 year old DH is one of the few bright spots on their team.

• cur68 - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I do believe the popular mythology of the day is that “he’s a whiny biaaatuch, etc”. Nice to see not everyone swills the koolaid.

6. allbucdup - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Show me any division in baseball that has a win percentage in the realm of the AL East…I dare ya.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3502)