Aug 2, 2012, 8:16 PM EDT
Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine mentioned earlier this afternoon that David Ortiz could be activated from the disabled list as soon as this weekend against the Twins, but odds are that’s not going to happen.
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Ortiz did some light jogging while the Red Sox were taking batting practice this afternoon and estimated that his strained right Achilles tendon is at about “50-60 percent.” He added that he likely won’t do “power running” for another few days, which essentially rules out the chance that he’ll return this weekend.
“It feels better,” Ortiz said. “The (trainers) were a little surprised about how I was moving compared to when we tried in New York. Like the doctors and trainers say, I’m not going to be 100 percent when I come back to play. But when we start doing the power drills and once I start feeling better, I think I’ll be ready to go.”
Ortiz was in the midst of an 11-game hitting streak prior to suffering the injury while running the bases on July 16 against the White Sox. The 36-year-old slugger is batting .316/.414/.609 with 23 home runs, 58 RBI and a 1.024 OPS in 89 games played this season. The Red Sox have shuffled multiple players out of the DH spot during his absence, including Cody Ross tonight against Twins’ right-hander Samuel Deduno.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 0
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 15
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)