Aug 2, 2012, 7:32 PM EST
The Diamondbacks acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik along with right-hander Matt Albers from the Red Sox for left-hander Craig Breslow just two days ago. However, the team announced Podsednik’s release this afternoon. What gives?
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, Podsednik was granted his release after refusing an assignment to Triple-A Reno. I’m not sure if there’s a way the Diamondbacks could have cleared the possibility of a minor league assignment with Podsednik before acquiring him, but his inclusion in the deal looks even more odd now. Of course, Albers was the real centerpiece of the deal from Arizona’s perspective and Podsednik is nothing more than organizational depth at this point in his career, so the Diamondbacks probably aren’t going to lose any sleep over it.
Podsednik, 36, batted .387/.409/.484 with one home run, seven RBI, six stolen bases and an .893 OPS in 19 games with the Red Sox earlier this season prior to being placed on the disabled list in mid-June with a strained groin. He was playing with Triple-A Pawtucket for a little over a month prior to the trade to Arizona.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)