Aug 2, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik along with right-hander Matt Albers from the Red Sox for left-hander Craig Breslow just two days ago. However, the team announced Podsednik’s release this afternoon. What gives?
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, Podsednik was granted his release after refusing an assignment to Triple-A Reno. I’m not sure if there’s a way the Diamondbacks could have cleared the possibility of a minor league assignment with Podsednik before acquiring him, but his inclusion in the deal looks even more odd now. Of course, Albers was the real centerpiece of the deal from Arizona’s perspective and Podsednik is nothing more than organizational depth at this point in his career, so the Diamondbacks probably aren’t going to lose any sleep over it.
Podsednik, 36, batted .387/.409/.484 with one home run, seven RBI, six stolen bases and an .893 OPS in 19 games with the Red Sox earlier this season prior to being placed on the disabled list in mid-June with a strained groin. He was playing with Triple-A Pawtucket for a little over a month prior to the trade to Arizona.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)