Aug 2, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik along with right-hander Matt Albers from the Red Sox for left-hander Craig Breslow just two days ago. However, the team announced Podsednik’s release this afternoon. What gives?
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, Podsednik was granted his release after refusing an assignment to Triple-A Reno. I’m not sure if there’s a way the Diamondbacks could have cleared the possibility of a minor league assignment with Podsednik before acquiring him, but his inclusion in the deal looks even more odd now. Of course, Albers was the real centerpiece of the deal from Arizona’s perspective and Podsednik is nothing more than organizational depth at this point in his career, so the Diamondbacks probably aren’t going to lose any sleep over it.
Podsednik, 36, batted .387/.409/.484 with one home run, seven RBI, six stolen bases and an .893 OPS in 19 games with the Red Sox earlier this season prior to being placed on the disabled list in mid-June with a strained groin. He was playing with Triple-A Pawtucket for a little over a month prior to the trade to Arizona.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 12
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?