Aug 2, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik along with right-hander Matt Albers from the Red Sox for left-hander Craig Breslow just two days ago. However, the team announced Podsednik’s release this afternoon. What gives?
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, Podsednik was granted his release after refusing an assignment to Triple-A Reno. I’m not sure if there’s a way the Diamondbacks could have cleared the possibility of a minor league assignment with Podsednik before acquiring him, but his inclusion in the deal looks even more odd now. Of course, Albers was the real centerpiece of the deal from Arizona’s perspective and Podsednik is nothing more than organizational depth at this point in his career, so the Diamondbacks probably aren’t going to lose any sleep over it.
Podsednik, 36, batted .387/.409/.484 with one home run, seven RBI, six stolen bases and an .893 OPS in 19 games with the Red Sox earlier this season prior to being placed on the disabled list in mid-June with a strained groin. He was playing with Triple-A Pawtucket for a little over a month prior to the trade to Arizona.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)