Aug 2, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton is scheduled to begin a brief minor-league rehab assignment today at Single-A and, barring a setback with his surgically repaired knee, hopes to come off the disabled list as soon as Tuesday versus the Mets.
At the time of Stanton’s surgery on July 9 he was expected to miss 4-6 weeks, so he’s basically right on track for the low end of that estimate and Joe Frisaro of MLB.com writes that the Marlins think he’ll be able to return after just a few rehab outings.
Stanton briefly tried to play through the pain before shutting things down and having two loose cartilage chips removed from his right knee. Prior to being placed on the DL he hit .284 with 19 homers and a career-high .919 OPS in 80 games.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)