Aug 2, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Giancarlo Stanton is scheduled to begin a brief minor-league rehab assignment today at Single-A and, barring a setback with his surgically repaired knee, hopes to come off the disabled list as soon as Tuesday versus the Mets.
At the time of Stanton’s surgery on July 9 he was expected to miss 4-6 weeks, so he’s basically right on track for the low end of that estimate and Joe Frisaro of MLB.com writes that the Marlins think he’ll be able to return after just a few rehab outings.
Stanton briefly tried to play through the pain before shutting things down and having two loose cartilage chips removed from his right knee. Prior to being placed on the DL he hit .284 with 19 homers and a career-high .919 OPS in 80 games.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 351
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (354)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)