Aug 2, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton is scheduled to begin a brief minor-league rehab assignment today at Single-A and, barring a setback with his surgically repaired knee, hopes to come off the disabled list as soon as Tuesday versus the Mets.
At the time of Stanton’s surgery on July 9 he was expected to miss 4-6 weeks, so he’s basically right on track for the low end of that estimate and Joe Frisaro of MLB.com writes that the Marlins think he’ll be able to return after just a few rehab outings.
Stanton briefly tried to play through the pain before shutting things down and having two loose cartilage chips removed from his right knee. Prior to being placed on the DL he hit .284 with 19 homers and a career-high .919 OPS in 80 games.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)