Aug 2, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Jason Giambi won’t be eligible to return from the disabled list until next week, but the 41-year-old has been cleared to resume baseball activities after being sidelined by a viral infection.
Giambi revealed to Trey Scott of MLB.com that he was feeling sick for several weeks before finally seeing a doctor:
I had stomach aches, was kind of nauseated. I was tired all the time, exhausted. I started to notice my batting practices weren’t very good, I wasn’t able to go out to first base because I was so tired. That’s when I spoke up. We ran some tests and we went from there.
Giambi’s role will be limited even if he’s healthy, but he remained plenty effective at the plate with a .404 on-base percentage through the end of June.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)