Aug 2, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Jason Giambi won’t be eligible to return from the disabled list until next week, but the 41-year-old has been cleared to resume baseball activities after being sidelined by a viral infection.
Giambi revealed to Trey Scott of MLB.com that he was feeling sick for several weeks before finally seeing a doctor:
I had stomach aches, was kind of nauseated. I was tired all the time, exhausted. I started to notice my batting practices weren’t very good, I wasn’t able to go out to first base because I was so tired. That’s when I spoke up. We ran some tests and we went from there.
Giambi’s role will be limited even if he’s healthy, but he remained plenty effective at the plate with a .404 on-base percentage through the end of June.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games