Aug 2, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Jason Giambi won’t be eligible to return from the disabled list until next week, but the 41-year-old has been cleared to resume baseball activities after being sidelined by a viral infection.
Giambi revealed to Trey Scott of MLB.com that he was feeling sick for several weeks before finally seeing a doctor:
I had stomach aches, was kind of nauseated. I was tired all the time, exhausted. I started to notice my batting practices weren’t very good, I wasn’t able to go out to first base because I was so tired. That’s when I spoke up. We ran some tests and we went from there.
Giambi’s role will be limited even if he’s healthy, but he remained plenty effective at the plate with a .404 on-base percentage through the end of June.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)