Aug 2, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Jason Giambi won’t be eligible to return from the disabled list until next week, but the 41-year-old has been cleared to resume baseball activities after being sidelined by a viral infection.
Giambi revealed to Trey Scott of MLB.com that he was feeling sick for several weeks before finally seeing a doctor:
I had stomach aches, was kind of nauseated. I was tired all the time, exhausted. I started to notice my batting practices weren’t very good, I wasn’t able to go out to first base because I was so tired. That’s when I spoke up. We ran some tests and we went from there.
Giambi’s role will be limited even if he’s healthy, but he remained plenty effective at the plate with a .404 on-base percentage through the end of June.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (87)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)