Aug 2, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
Jose Bautista resumed swinging a bat last week, but the Blue Jays slugger isn’t close to returning from a sprained wrist.
Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Bautista “is still experiencing some discomfort” and his return timetable “remains very much up in the air” 17 days after the injury.
Bautista told Chisholm that a hand specialist advised him “not to push it too hard, too soon” and framed it as a positive that he’s been able to take swings off a tee. He also indicated that returning before the injury is 100 percent healed won’t be an option because he doesn’t want to risk re-aggravating it.
In other words, don’t expect to see Bautista back in the middle of the Blue Jays’ lineup for a while.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)