Aug 2, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Jose Bautista resumed swinging a bat last week, but the Blue Jays slugger isn’t close to returning from a sprained wrist.
Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Bautista “is still experiencing some discomfort” and his return timetable “remains very much up in the air” 17 days after the injury.
Bautista told Chisholm that a hand specialist advised him “not to push it too hard, too soon” and framed it as a positive that he’s been able to take swings off a tee. He also indicated that returning before the injury is 100 percent healed won’t be an option because he doesn’t want to risk re-aggravating it.
In other words, don’t expect to see Bautista back in the middle of the Blue Jays’ lineup for a while.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 19
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)