Aug 2, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Jose Bautista resumed swinging a bat last week, but the Blue Jays slugger isn’t close to returning from a sprained wrist.
Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Bautista “is still experiencing some discomfort” and his return timetable “remains very much up in the air” 17 days after the injury.
Bautista told Chisholm that a hand specialist advised him “not to push it too hard, too soon” and framed it as a positive that he’s been able to take swings off a tee. He also indicated that returning before the injury is 100 percent healed won’t be an option because he doesn’t want to risk re-aggravating it.
In other words, don’t expect to see Bautista back in the middle of the Blue Jays’ lineup for a while.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 51
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 46
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 72
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show